OP
OP
D

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a month and I have been thinking about adding a couple fish. I have a percula clown and six line wrasse in the tank now left over from the old tank. I had bought a lawn mower Bennie to help with the litlle outbreak of hair algae on the new and old rock that hadn't seen light before. I returned him after second thought - not really a fan of them and want to keep different types of bennies.

Right now I have zoas, star polyps, leathers, torch and Galaxia as far as corals go. I plan on experimenting with some easier SPS and see how I do.

Tank is 150 (48w x24h x 31h)

So, all I have added so far is an urchin, snails and a brittle star - all doing well. Parameters are spot on (dosing is awesome!). I really could use some help coming up with a stocking list and an order. If I give a list of fish I enjoy, could you help figure out which go together best and maybe an order to add them?

This list is in no way a list of all the fish I plan to add, just some that I enjoy:

- Yellow tang (never owned one) but seem active
- Powder blue or similar
- majestic angel (would love a larger angel but not really realistic)
- or small angel (had a flame a long time ago that I really liked - cherub was boring)
- pair of jaw fish (still need to build a mesh lid)
- school of dart fish of some sort
- lose six line and add a pair of red flasher wrasses
- bicolor blennie or other small rock dwelling fish
- no real butterflies I want to try - or be able to afford the reef safe varieties few they are - but suggestion are most welcome
- sand sifting fish of some sort

- inverts - love them - cleaner shrimp, emerald crabs, any other fun non aggressive suggestions?

- wife wants an anenome - I could take it or leave it - they are kind of a hassle (suggestions of some varieties that stay somewhat smaller and keep their color well)

I appreciate your help in advance! When I started a long time ago, it was put a fish in a see if it survived. I have learned a lot since then and know that planning and trying to stick to a plan is the best way to be successful. The fish I did have, I had for long periods of time and usually lost them from major calamities, broken heater... Kids...

OP
OP
D

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing settling down. Dosing is worked out for the most part - Ca a little high but not too bad (500).

Here is a view of the tank from the back (love the window tint-makes working behind the tank fun!)
150 in-wall - rear view - YouTube

Here's a font view from a couple of weeks ago:
150 Gallon Reef 6-9-14 - YouTube

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice. Everything is working well as a system and easy for me to maintain and control.

Added my first few SPS frags (stylopora, spongodes and a green birds nest) well see how I do with these - but totally excited to try!

OP
OP
D

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been a while since I posted ( work has been busty). Left my wife in charge a I set out hiking off the grid with my sons and of course, she misunderstood the ato instructions and we lost power. Poor girl woke up to 35 gallons of water on the floor. LFS owner came over in the middle of the night and helped her out. Joe the owner of seascape studio here in St. Louis couldn't have been nicer and I really appreciate his help.

Has taken over a week to get everything back to proper levels - no need for a water change for a while:) I have been concentrating on experimenting with SPS corals and seem to be having good luck. Dosing has kept everything very stable. Everything has at least doubled in size but I started with pretty small frags.

I had added a flasher wrasse and a powder blue tang (huge) and a couple of fire fish. The powder blue got ich (I had it in my previous tank) and wiped out himself, a percula clown and a Bangai cardinal (from old tank) and the flasher wrasse. I only have the two fire fish and a 6 line in the tank right now. I am going to try and catch them this weekend and let the rank go fishless for 8 weeks. I picked up a cool qt from craigslist. I will post some photos when I get a chance

Overall

OP
OP
D

Daddio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been away for a couple of years... While not majorly different, the tank is working great as a system. The dosing has made a huge difference in the stability of the water chemistry. Here's a recent video of the tank (I apologize in advance for the shaky video)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 130 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.3%
Back