90 gallon set up help

brandonlock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the process of setting up a 90-gallon tall drilled tank with a sump, and I’m seeking guidance on the essential equipment for a successful reef tank. I’m aware that lighting, protein skimmers, powerheads, and a return pump are necessary components, but I’m overwhelmed by the multitude of options available in the market.

For lighting, I’m considering two Viparspectra timer-controlled dimmable 165W LED lights to support the growth of LPS and soft corals, along with the potential addition of clams. However, I’m open to suggestions on other brands or models that provide efficient lighting without breaking the bank.

Regarding the protein skimmer, I’m uncertain about which brand would best suit my tank’s needs, and I would greatly appreciate recommendations based on your expertise.

Additionally, I understand the importance of water circulation and am in need of advice on suitable powerhead options. As for the return pump, I’m looking for a reliable and energy-efficient choice.

If there are any other essential components or equipment I may be overlooking, I’d be grateful for your assistance in compiling a comprehensive list of everything required for a thriving reef tank. Your insights and recommendations will be highly valued as I embark on this exciting endeavor.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Successful" can mean a range of things to different folks... For some, it means excellent coral growth. Others, a wide abundance of fish. For me - it means having a reasonably low maintenance tank.

I use and swear by Nyos Quantum skimmers. They are not the "ultimate" skimmer in terms of features, performance or price - but I've been very happy with them so far. Reef Octopus and Bubble Magus are other popular skimmer brands.

If you're looking for reliable and energy efficient powerheads to supplement flow, you'll want something DC. You have a choice of wavemakers or gyres (both work well, they just move water differently).

Beyond that, a UV sterilizer, good ATO and some kind of controller for remote monitoring are always important.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back