90 Gallon stocking feedback

agoralyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 48″ x 18″ x 24″ with a 36 gallon sump. 3" live sand bed. Currently FOWLR, but not opposed to trying some cheap, hardy corals in the future (that I wouldn't be heartbroken if someone eats or bulldozes).

Current critters and plants:
Macroalgeas in refugium (Ulva lacuta, Gracilaria parvispora, and Caulerpa lentillifera, though the Ulva and Gracilaria are outcompeting the Caulerpa)
Amphipods, copepods, and phytoplankton in refugium
3* Peppermint shrimp in refugium
2* Serpent stars in display tank
1* Tuxedo urchin in display tank
Handful of Calculus sp. hermits that came with my seeded live sand, will migrate them to the refugium when they get bigger/I add crustacean eaters in display tank.
Assorted snails (tiger conch, turbo, astraea, nassarius, cerith, trocus, nerite, litorinid) in display tank.
2* Ocellaris clowns

I'm planning to add the following and would love feedback both on compatibility and order of introduction if you see any red flags!

Assorted calciferous display macroalgeas

2* Neon gobies
1* Adorned wrasse
1* Filamented flasher wrasse
1* Forktail blenny
1* Blackcap basslet
1* Coral beauty angelfish
1* One spot foxface
1* Two spot bristletooth tang
1* Skeletor eel (or other smaller Echidna sp.)

Thanks for your time and help! This is my first marine tank and I'm already thoroughly addicted.

20240219_124123.jpg

OP
OP
A

agoralyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eel is a real risk with a lot of those fish. Other than that I think it's a reasonable goal stocking outside maybe a little tight for a foxface
Thanks so much for the reply!

The two that I was most on the fence about with the eel were the neon gobies because of their size and the adorned wrasse because of the sand burrowing. I'd hoped (in my inexperienced little heart ) since the gobies are cleaners, and the wrasse would be going in long before the eel they would be left alone. Are there any of the other ones that stick out as eel targets? I tried to stick primarily with fish that would live higher up in the water column, but that was just going off of online descriptions of them. I unfortunately don't have any reputable LFS near me to confer with.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the reply!

The two that I was most on the fence about with the eel were the neon gobies because of their size and the adorned wrasse because of the sand burrowing. I'd hoped (in my inexperienced little heart ) since the gobies are cleaners, and the wrasse would be going in long before the eel they would be left alone. Are there any of the other ones that stick out as eel targets? I tried to stick primarily with fish that would live higher up in the water column, but that was just going off of online descriptions of them. I unfortunately don't have any reputable LFS near me to confer with.
A full grown skeletor eel would attempt to eat all the fish on your list outside the coral beauty, foxface, and tang, but it still may attempt to rip those apart and eat them in pieces.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo skeletor eels are amazing!!! I would say if you want an eel re do the stocking with a few bigger fish since the little ones probably would be a snack for the eel. Snowflakes are also very mild tempered. Ive only had my jeweled moray eat a few fish ( midas blenny and a cleaner wrasse). The snowflake hasnt touched any fish. Smallest fish I have with them is a 2 inch niger trigger now, no issues

OP
OP
A

agoralyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo skeletor eels are amazing!!! I would say if you want an eel re do the stocking with a few bigger fish since the little ones probably would be a snack for the eel. Snowflakes are also very mild tempered. Ive only had my jeweled moray eat a few fish ( midas blenny and a cleaner wrasse). The snowflake hasnt touched any fish. Smallest fish I have with them is a 2 inch niger trigger now, no issues

Would swapping out the gobies out for a larger dartfish, and the flasher wrasse for a fairy wrasse be appropriate? Also open to suggestions on larger fish similar to the basslet that aren't going to be holy terror dottybacks!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would swapping out the gobies out for a larger dartfish, and the flasher wrasse for a fairy wrasse be appropriate? Also open to suggestions on larger fish similar to the basslet that aren't going to be holy terror dottybacks!
No on the dart fish, those are fair game. And if those wrasse are smaller too also probably a meal. Smallest fish that I would go is a dwarf angel.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No on the dart fish, those are fair game. And if those wrasse are smaller too also probably a meal. Smallest fish that I would go is a dwarf angel.
Silversides are a common thing to feed eels, dartfish are typically the same soze and shape

OP
OP
A

agoralyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, got rid of all of the small minnow-shaped fish. :face-with-tears-of-joy: Does this look any more feasible?

3* Black-axil chromis (seeing mixed feedback on whether they're conspecific aggressive like C. viridis? Not dead-set on a trio)
1* large Halichoeres wrasse (5-6"+)
1* large Cirrhilabrus wrasse (5-6"+)
1* One spot foxface
1* Yellow tang

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, got rid of all of the small minnow-shaped fish. :face-with-tears-of-joy: Does this look any more feasible?

3* Black-axil chromis (seeing mixed feedback on whether they're conspecific aggressive like C. viridis? Not dead-set on a trio)
1* One spot foxface
1* Yellow tang
My ma has experience with keeping small eels with chromis from when she was younger, she said no to the axil chromis, they will be fine as adults but are likely to get snacked on before that point, black and white chromis are a little smaller, but form tighter associations in her experience than axils do and are less likely to be preyed upon as a result.

NickNH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ma has experience with keeping small eels with chromis from when she was younger, she said no to the axil chromis, they will be fine as adults but are likely to get snacked on before that point, black and white chromis are a little smaller, but form tighter associations in her experience than axils do and are less likely to be preyed upon as a result.
Take that with a grain of salt, she hasn't kept an aquarium in almost half a century

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1* One spot foxface
1* Yellow tang
Yeah! Should be good with an eel

T4ylor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 48″ x 18″ x 24″ with a 36 gallon sump. 3" live sand bed. Currently FOWLR, but not opposed to trying some cheap, hardy corals in the future (that I wouldn't be heartbroken if someone eats or bulldozes).

Current critters and plants:
Macroalgeas in refugium (Ulva lacuta, Gracilaria parvispora, and Caulerpa lentillifera, though the Ulva and Gracilaria are outcompeting the Caulerpa)
Amphipods, copepods, and phytoplankton in refugium
3* Peppermint shrimp in refugium
2* Serpent stars in display tank
1* Tuxedo urchin in display tank
Handful of Calculus sp. hermits that came with my seeded live sand, will migrate them to the refugium when they get bigger/I add crustacean eaters in display tank.
Assorted snails (tiger conch, turbo, astraea, nassarius, cerith, trocus, nerite, litorinid) in display tank.
2* Ocellaris clowns

I'm planning to add the following and would love feedback both on compatibility and order of introduction if you see any red flags!

Assorted calciferous display macroalgeas

2* Neon gobies
1* Adorned wrasse
1* Filamented flasher wrasse
1* Forktail blenny
1* Blackcap basslet
1* One spot foxface

Thanks for your time and help! This is my first marine tank and I'm already thoroughly addicted.

20240219_124123.jpg
we have the exact same size tank look forward to seeing how ours compare

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 110 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back