A Giant in the Hobby needs our help.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first met Albert Thiel in 1991 at the 3rd MACNA. At the time Albert owned the best Reef Aquarium equipment manufacturer Theil Aquatech. They had the coolest wet/dry sump systems and I could never afford buying one. But I could buy his book.:)
20160914_165852_zpsl50fnbju.jpg

Albert wrote very technical books and shared his knowledge of the hobby.
He has written many of the books that the hobby was built on. Many have been able to be successful Marine Aquarist due to Albert.
fishbooks3.jpg

After selling his equipment business Albert retired from the limelight of the hobby. Thou he has never lost his love for the hobby.
A few years ago Albert decided to share his thoughts about Reef keeping with a new generation of Hobbyist with his book Nano Reef Keeping.
nanoreefbookcover.jpg

He also started a Podcast called the Nano Reef Hour where he shared the mic with other experts in the hobby discussing how to be a successful reef hobbyist. You would be well served go and listen to these podcast's full of information on keeping Reef aquariums.
Every hobbyist today stand on the shoulders of Albert Theil, Martin Moe and Julian Sprung. We would not have a hobby if it was not for these men sharing their learnings and sharing information from hobbyist's around the world in their books.

Well this week we all learned that Albert needs our help now. He and his wife have had failing health this past year and as with most insurance policies they have run into to some cost that they need help with.
At this time of year we all look to help our fellow man by giving to charity as we do with the toy drive here at R2R.
So thanks to Radni Horlick for setting up a go fund me page to help Albert out. I gave the minute I found out about it. It is the least I could do to help out one of the greats in our Hobby. An one who would not ask for help if not for others finding out about his situation.
So Click Here and help one of the Giants of the hobby how this holiday season.
Albert needs our help and support

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Albert is also a member of R2R and has been a contributor here for several years in the past.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I met Albert a couple of years ago and had a very long and nice chat with him. He seemed to be a very nice gentleman and was more than willing to share his thoughts about the hobby with me. I thoroughly enjoyed our chat and wish him well.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the pioneers of modern reef keeping! Let's support him.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for noticing, reading, understanding and posting this @reefwiser !!! We can all help Albert. Time to give back, not because we have, but for the love he helped us all achieve. I have watched countless videos of him and he has always been the most humble person in the industry.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is unfortunate that he is going through this right now.Thank you for posting this up @reefwiser.I really enjoyed Albert' s book Nano Reef Aquariums.I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to bump this for our friend Albert.Please check out the Go Fund Me link above for the latest updates.Thank you!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 92 42.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 109 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back