OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
apparently I cant edit my post. Meant to add they cant see red light as well so to them its almost dark.

The room it is in is very dark. I have an adjustable blue strip that was on the tank originally with the halides. I can do a minimal amount of blue and leave it on all night so I am not creeping along with a light. I can ramp it up to well lit if necessary but thought about this a few hours ago, been meaning to put it back on the tank anyway for some "moonlight" nights.

Think that will work? More consistent than a flashlight blinking on and off randomly.

Barky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their is your culprits the brittle stars. I had a green brittle star and it ate every small sized fish I put into my tank. Did not realize this until I read a post about someone else loosing fish.
I know brown brittle stars are suppose to be safe but if they are large your twice a week feedings of krill is not enough. Google them and search I will bet money they are the problem,

OP
OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not doubting you but how? How can a creature with the body about the size of a quarter eat a 4 inch long scissortail? Where does it go?!?!?!

Barky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading that as the lights go down fish start to go to the rocks to rest for the night, the brittle star will stand up on its legs which are long and eventually will trap and eat the fish they are scavengers. I could not get over how bid mine was when I pulled it out, tip to tip of the legs was about twelve inches, the body as big or bigger then a half dollar.
Like I mentioned do some reading about them. Take the stars out and you will not see your fish disappear.

Marshall O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a smarthphone, download a flashlight app. I have one where you can chose the brightness and color of the screen. Set it to all red and brightest :)

newjack0000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres a good idea marshall. If its an android phone its called tesla led.

as for the blue moon lights its iffy. If there dim enough it may work but because its not use to it, it may not.

OP
OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading that as the lights go down fish start to go to the rocks to rest for the night, the brittle star will stand up on its legs which are long and eventually will trap and eat the fish they are scavengers. I could not get over how bid mine was when I pulled it out, tip to tip of the legs was about twelve inches, the body as big or bigger then a half dollar.
Like I mentioned do some reading about them. Take the stars out and you will not see your fish disappear.

Well, being in the tank (visually) as much as I am I see them regularly. Neither one ever leaves their area. They are maybe 6-8 inches across (had one out yesterday) and the body is only quarter sized. Again - be nice if it was them but I think they are a little small. i will move them to a QT and see what happens.

OP
OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres a good idea marshall. If its an android phone its called tesla led.

as for the blue moon lights its iffy. If there dim enough it may work but because its not use to it, it may not.

I have iphone and pad but will look for an app. Going to get a balloon today for the flashlight.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea remove the stars to rule them out but of they are the species I think they are they just sit under a rock and dig through the sand for debris and would not be the culprit. Mine has never left his spot in six months. The problem with worms is if they detect the slightest change in light they are gone back into their hole in a heartbeat. They can't see in the red spectrum though.

OP
OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked the moon lights up to run with the lights for the fuge so they run when nothing else is on.

Funny. I set a silverside in. the star comes out from it's rock and starts to try and pull the silverside off the toothpick. the cleaner shrimp arrive and... the star gave up and ran back under it's rock. I moved the silverside to the other side of the tank and the snails are giving it hell at the moment.

OP
OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!!!

Was feeding today and just before I turned the pump off something caught my eye. It was the scissortail... stuck in the diffusor. I assume he went completely through the system and passing through the pump was the end of him.

The good news is that means we have not lost any fish since we removed Crabzilla. Of course the bad news is that somehow a scissortail made it through the entire business end of the tank.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE!!!

Was feeding today and just before I turned the pump off something caught my eye. It was the scissortail... stuck in the diffusor. I assume he went completely through the system and passing through the pump was the end of him.

The good news is that means we have not lost any fish since we removed Crabzilla. Of course the bad news is that somehow a scissortail made it through the entire business end of the tank.

I had this happen to a six line. He somehow made it through an overflow which has a filter, pass the sock filter, through the sump chambers and past the return pump guard.... not a fun experience for him or me upon finding his head sticking out of my return nozzle.

OP
OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I did not have a filter sock until yesterday but pretty much the same set up otherwise. Yeah, it's kind of unsettling to look up and see a fish sticking out of the nozzle.

The crab. Nothing has come up missing since he was deported.

IMG_6409.jpg
IMG_6408.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6509.jpg
    IMG_6509.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_6508.jpg
    IMG_6508.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

qterry22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries I love the zoas. I have the same eagle eyes in my tank. The emerald grab eats nothing but algae. So I can promise you it wasn't that guy. Not saying he cant get test...but not enough to kill any of the fish you lost. He might chase them away from him but more times he will be the one running. Glad you found your culprit even if it cost you almost 6 bills. It sucks that it was something you could of prevented but don't let it get you down. WE live and learn in this hobby. I have spent more money on %^&$ I don't need or don't use than I wish to admit. Hope your ready to keep that tank running and beautiful. Happy Reefing!!

OP
OP
J

Johnnyredd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks nothing like the emeralds (and red mitrix) we have in the tank. The body is much thicker, those beady little black eyes and the claws are more pointed and red tipped.

Pretty sure he's also the one that did a clawendectomy on one of my Emeralds. Came in one day and the claws were laying side by side in the tank.

I quit putting price tags on lessons a long time ago! :cry:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back