Absolute cleanest salt???

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m just trying to figure out what happens with cold storage salt water when it warms up in the DT?
Which begs another question, or two.

Do people have filtration or skimmers on their mixing stations? Maybe I should? Thanks for the suggestions and discussion.

I asked Randy why new water tended to precipitate but doesn’t in the tank. This was his response

“Organics and phosphate are well known in the literature to block precipitation of calcium carbonate by making the surface not look like a good seed crystal for more precipitation. That’s how magnesium works as well. I think even whole bacteria can serve this purpose.

Yes, things in 5 are, IMO, a big reason why raw artificial seawater is much more prone to precipitation than is reef tank water at the same basic values for alk, pH, and calcium.

I did an experiment years ago where I found I could boost the alk and pH in a test tube very high using ESV alk part plus raw salt water, plus a polymer known to bind to CaCO3 surfaces (sodium polyacrylate). The same could not be done without the polymer.”

The part about “things in 5” is in reference to a list he had made and I asked about bullet point number 5. Wish I had the thread to link

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For several years I purchased pre-made salt water from my LFS - they used Red Sea salt, but I'm not sure what type. And I noticed that it left a reddish brown crud in the bottom of my containers. I tried getting rid of it with a vinegar/water bath, but that didn't really help.

So then, for many reasons, I started making my own salt water at home - got an RODI unit and set up mixing station. And, after a lot of research, decided to use the TM Pro Reef salt. And that stuff is great - it mixes up clean in an hour, and no crud to deal with even after a month of storage!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I previously used HW, which mixed clean but was unfortunately a bad batch (waaay off on ALK). Switched to Fritz Blue Box and it also mixes very clean. In all of my salts I've gotten a bit of white flaky precipitate at the bottom.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Tropic Marin Pro, Fritz, ESV, Aquaforest, and currently use Nyos. Nyos has been the cleanest so far with Tropic Marin not far behind. I keep my mixing bin set to 74 degrees and have a powerhead in to keep it moving. No issues at all with Nyos and it's consistant. Bin stays clean but if i wipe it with a papertowel i will get some brown residue but not visible otherwise.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked Randy why new water tended to precipitate but doesn’t in the tank. This was his response

“Organics and phosphate are well known in the literature to block precipitation of calcium carbonate by making the surface not look like a good seed crystal for more precipitation. That’s how magnesium works as well. I think even whole bacteria can serve this purpose.

Yes, things in 5 are, IMO, a big reason why raw artificial seawater is much more prone to precipitation than is reef tank water at the same basic values for alk, pH, and calcium.

I did an experiment years ago where I found I could boost the alk and pH in a test tube very high using ESV alk part plus raw salt water, plus a polymer known to bind to CaCO3 surfaces (sodium polyacrylate). The same could not be done without the polymer.”

The part about “things in 5” is in reference to a list he had made and I asked about bullet point number 5. Wish I had the thread to link
Thank you for this information!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rtparty has looked extensively at just this question. Valuable observations there.

I Want to make the contrarian case to consider the possibility that the off-color precipitate is your friend... sort of. In chemistry, precipitation is a super-common method of purifying a solution.

Some salt mixes might contain higher amounts of metals (not suggesting danger/toxicity - just higher than natural seawater) and as the salt mixes, a lot of these metals precipitate out and leave off-color precipitate in the mixing bucket.
In this sense, the precipitation is a sort of weak purification / minimum quality control process. This means you may want that brown stuff left behind and would prefer it not be dissolved in your water. Personally, anything that falls out of solution in a mixing bucket, I don't want it in my tank water.

Consider another hypothetical brand of salt mix with a chelator like EDTA - that salt mix would be able to hold higher amounts of metals in solution and would mix "cleaner" but could have higher metal levels than other brands - or a lot of salt that's "off". This might be undesirable.
OR maybe you do want it - of course some manufacturers add EDTA to a salt mix precisely because that allows them to deliver more metals into solution which would otherwise get depleted rapidly.

p.s. oops. I should've made this argument in the chem forum, so Randy could correct if I've got things twisted and confused myself. :)

NuclearCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't store your SW unless you are NOT heating it and circulating it with O2 ... Are you using Store Bought RO Water ? If you leave DI'd water SIT it will collect air born elements. remember RO DI Water is a SPONGE to absorb anything..

Still using HW Marine \ reef here .. never issue ..

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I only do a 5 Gallon weekly water change, I went with ESV.
Mixes crystal clear & can be used right away. PLUS, I can adjust Ca, & MG easily by adding or reducing a component.

leon.1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the HW salt and it mixes so dirty and ends up leaving my brute can brown within a months time. I actually purchased some nice clear water holding tanks and want to change up my salt before they come in. Just don’t want to have to clean the salt tank monthly so figured I’d see what everyone believes is the cleanest mixed salt out there
Thanks
You mean this salt? If so that’s so weird. My tanks never need cleaning and I have 35gal mixed up at all times. As soon as I do a water change I mix up a new batch.

IMG_4313.png

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don’t want to have to clean the salt tank monthly so figured I’d see what everyone believes is the cleanest mixed salt out there
Thanks

Just say no to cleaning, and the problem is solved. :)

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use TM and always have. I often store it for weeks in my mixing station and it will leave a residue. Attached are pics of the residue as well as TM USA's response to my inquiry obout it,

Attachments

• IMG_1051.jpeg
    IMG_1051.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1053.png
    IMG_1053.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 100

dwarfseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am somewhat new to saltwater and my question is, other than due to cost, is there any reason not to use the Petco Imagitarium Pacific Oceanwater or their Natures Ocean Nutri-Seawater Natural Live Ocean Seawater? I have been using it for several years and have had no problem with it. My salt water tanks are small which is why I can do it this way. When trying to mix salt mixtures myself I always had problems with it being to salty or not salty enough or it looked cloudy. This comes in a box and is always clear and always seems to be perfect readings. I could not do this with a large tank due to cost but just wondering if there are any reasons not to use it?

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you storing the water long term? Is it heated and mixed? What temperature if you are heating it?

My "storage" was very short term but I used up the whole box of HW Reefer with weekly water changes. My Brute can stayed super clean the whole time. I really liked the HW salt and went to buy more but the price had jumped like 20% overnight so I switched away.
Jumping in on this thread, I have a 50g mixing drum, no heater ( I live in San Diego and low temps never get below 48’) - I use Tropic Marin Pro. Never any issues. 50g lasts me about 1.5 weeks ( I have 2 x 200 g tanks) . I add water without worrying as 10g of cooler water is no match for 200 g of 77’ water. Corals don’t mind - it’s normal for temp fluctuations in nature so a few degrees here or there is no issue IMHO

OP
OP
Reefing.with.Rich

Reefing.with.Rich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You mean this salt? If so that’s so weird. My tanks never need cleaning and I have 35gal mixed up at all times. As soon as I do a water change I mix up a new batch.

IMG_4313.png
Yup I use that salt and have for a long time. And my brute can is always brown(along with the circulating pumps) after a month or two

dpfriedman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the HW salt and it mixes so dirty and ends up leaving my brute can brown within a months time. I actually purchased some nice clear water holding tanks and want to change up my salt before they come in. Just don’t want to have to clean the salt tank monthly so figured I’d see what everyone believes is the cleanest mixed salt out there
Thanks
Fritz RPM mixes clean and clear and leaves my Brute can very clean. + I can purchase a 200gal box of it at my LFS for $55 per box so easy on the pocket book too.

QuickrdenU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind spending money on equipment, but is any salt really worth the significant price increase over Instant Ocean Purple? It seems like there are a million posts over cleanliness but… does it really matter? What happens when it’s in the tank is what matters no? Do other salts perform 50% better? Let me know if I’m missing anything. I just went back down to Instant Ocean after not being able to justify the slightly higher price of Reef Crystals. Kalk is cheap. I’m much more likely to keep the AWC’s humming if it’s cheap. And I couldn’t tell you what the inside of my mixing container looks like. They could be nasty for all I know, but the tank looks AMAZING! It circulates 4 times a day for a few minutes and is not heated. ‍♂️

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TM was a problem for me several times, and I was tired of it killing SPS in my tank (see attached pic) they were difficult to work with to say the least. I tried a few different brands (IORC, RS Blue, etc) and have settled on Brightwell. So far it mixes very clean and I’ve been impressed.

IMG_7013.jpeg

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall an article years ago by @Randy Holmes-Farley in which he found Tropic Marin Pro & Instant Ocean purple to have the least additives. I read that as they being the “cleanest”.

I’ve been using Instant Ocean purple for decades and never experienced any sort of “crud” or discoloration. I heat it when mixing and just before water changes. I store it in a brute with a powerhead for as long as 2 months at a time.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not tell you how many different salts I have used over the years. I started using Nyos salt I think in January, I will stick with this one. It is the fastest dissolving salt I have ever used. It has an ICP test for each batch, and the reason I answered is my mixing container is clean.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back