Acan growth question

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've had this Acan since last year. When I purchased it originally it was the three center heads, since then new heads have grown around it slowly into a dome.

The question I'm running into is this was my first tank and I was still learning, I had too much light on the original three heads. For the most part the original heads always look sucked in and missing "texture," except when feeding. All the other new heads are super puffy, defined flesh texture, and have feeding tentacles out. They're in 85-100 par lighting for a while now.

Will the center eventually grow out of this? Any other reason for this? Parameters are spot on.

Thank you

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 8.18.57 AM.png

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is mine, started about 4.5 years ago as one single polyp. I'm completely guessing, but I think the sucked in ones are making space for new polyps, or giving up energy to create new polyps, or laying out skeleton... I don't know but I feel it has something to do with it growing. I see it on mine too sometimes.

1714663900808.png

OP
OP
dr_vinnie_boombatz

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. The texture difference is what is throwing me off, the main three look like they're always sucked in tons of water. Makes sense they're giving up space & energy to new heads.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at mine now and the middle ones are squished in. Something similar with my hammer which is 20 heads now. The low bottom heads get retracted in because the ones above them are covering them now restricting light and flow to them.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back