Accidentally took urchin spine off.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I realized that pencil urchins eat coral I got one. Hes been in the tank 2 years now and doing great. Though every once in a while he climbs on top of a kenya tree and tried to eat it. I usually move him away with ease. He wedged himself in a rock and ate some coral, i got him our but accidentally hurt one of his spines i think. He seems to be doing fine but has anyone else done this?

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I realized that pencil urchins eat coral I got one. Hes been in the tank 2 years now and doing great. Though every once in a while he climbs on top of a kenya tree and tried to eat it. I usually move him away with ease. He wedged himself in a rock and ate some coral, i got him our but accidentally hurt one of his spines i think. He seems to be doing fine but has anyone else done this?
Urchins grow back spines pretty easily right? I rescued him from a tank at my lfs when he was with a bunch of other dead urchins, he had lost a few spines in the tank but when i got him acclimated and after a year he regrew them im pretty sure.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you have had him 2 years then obviously he likes his environment. Just let him be and do his thing. He should bounce back maybe similar to a porcupine losing quills. They regenerate I'm guessing.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you have had him 2 years then obviously he likes his environment. Just let him be and do his thing. He should bounce back maybe similar to a porcupine losing quills. They regenerate I'm guessing.
Cool, hes already moving around.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 59 45.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back