Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all!

My tank parameters are:

Alkalinity: 9.1 dKh (Trident)
Calcium: 455 (Trident)
Magnesium: 1387 (Trident)
pH: 7.84-7.99 (Trident)
Temperature: 79-80 F (Trident and separate probe)
Phosphate: 0.03-0.06 (Hannah)
Nitrate: 4-6 (Hannah)

My question: I am receiving some SPS frags today (mini colonies so larger) and they’ve been kept at an alkalinity of 7. I normally buy frags that have been kept between 8-9 and haven’t had any problems in that range but I am worried about such a large dKh shift for these animals and want to do my best for them. I don’t really think trying to acclimate over 3 days is feasible. What else short of that can I do?

Thanks for any wisdom you might be able to offer and any thoughts in general!

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to get mine on the rack after a dip as soon as possible then leave them alone and I keep my tanks around 11kh. I’m usually more concerned with light acclimation than alk. From shipping they are already going to be ***** so I’m in camp “deal with it”.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I try to get mine on the rack after a dip as soon as possible then leave them alone and I keep my tanks around 11kh. I’m usually more concerned with light acclimation than alk. From shipping they are already going to be ***** so I’m in camp “deal with it”.
That’s fair; mine normally go to the rack quickly as well and kept at around 100-150 par for a few days and then slowly moved up in the tank. That’s been working out well for me. I bleached a lot of frags trying to place directly in their final location in the DT but have finally learned that lesson! Thanks for the response!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just do it. If they don't make it, it will not be from this, IMO. I have never found these type of things to matter at all when getting frags. Constant and persistent alk swings over a longer period of time are more of an issue, IMO.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can just do it. If they don't make it, it will not be from this, IMO. I have never found these type of things to matter at all when getting frags. Constant and persistent alk swings over a longer period of time are more of an issue, IMO.
Makes sense. Thanks for the response!

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t lower your dKH. Keep it higher to stabilize pH at 8.3-8.4. Minimize acidification in your tank with beneficial bacteria (Microbacter), blow detritus off of rocks and gravel vac your sand bed. Make sure your skimmer is working properly and use carbon.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don’t lower your dKH. Keep it higher to stabilize pH at 8.3-8.4. Minimize acidification in your tank with beneficial bacteria (Microbacter), blow detritus off of rocks and gravel vac your sand bed. Make sure your skimmer is working properly and use carbon.
I didn’t and definitely wasn’t trying to. I like it at 9. Works well for my system. The mini colonies did great without going through crazy acclimation!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back