Achilles tang with powder brown

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife just bought me an Achilles tang for my birthday. I currently have a yellow, purple, powder brown, and naso. They have all been in a 150 stock tank while I'm setting up a 180.

Right now the Achilles is in quarantine. Assuming it lives, will I have any chance of it getting along with the powder brown? Has anyone done this successfully? TIA

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure it's been done successfully before, but as those fish grow that 180 will get smaller & smaller, which could cause for some aggression down the road. (let's hope not) GL.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its gonna be tight with all those tangs in there. How long have the tangs be established in the 150? The 180 would be a much better choice but like cloak already stated as they grow it probably wont be big enough for all of them. Before you move the achilles in I would rearrange your rock work to lessen the aggression and if you can, use an acclimation box to see how the established tangs will react to the achilles.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok I see, yeah that would be the best scenario and probably with the best outcome. Down the road as they grow you will probably have aggression and need to rehome 1 or 2.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.... I just wonder if anyone had these 2 in the same tank....i know they can be fiesty

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had all but the achilles in a 210. My powder brown was the most passive tang Ive owned. Its hard to say really bc the demeanor of each tang can be very different. Its really one of those you just gotta try and see....

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your issue with this tang will be parasites. How long have you had the powder brown?

I have a powder brown, powder blue, and Achilles in a 180 without issue but they were added simultaneously. With an established powder brown you may be in trouble. Mirrors on the side of the tank, moving rocks around, extra nori to eat, lights off for a couple days all may help. Ultimately though it could likely turn in to an onslaught. That's assuming that it doesn't come down with ich and keel over slowly over a period of 15-60 days.

How long have you had the powder brown?

These Achilles tangs like LOTS of flow and need a ton of nori because of their activity level. High oxygen concentration in the water is also critical. This can be achieved by heavy skimming, power heads breaking the surface, etc.

Here is a thread on tang aggression you may find helpful.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.215698/

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your issue with this tang will be parasites. How long have you had the powder brown?

I have a powder brown, powder blue, and Achilles in a 180 without issue but they were added simultaneously. With an established powder brown you may be in trouble. Mirrors on the side of the tank, moving rocks around, extra nori to eat, lights off for a couple days all may help. Ultimately though it could likely turn in to an onslaught. That's assuming that it doesn't come down with ich and keel over slowly over a period of 15-60 days.

How long have you had the powder brown?

These Achilles tangs like LOTS of flow and need a ton of nori because of their activity level. High oxygen concentration in the water is also critical. This can be achieved by heavy skimming, power heads breaking the surface, etc.

Here is a thread on tang aggression you may find helpful.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.215698/

Thanks. I've had the pb for about a month. Never got ich although I do believe its in my system. The 180 is not yet running so all fish will be added at once......

I'm hoping if I can keep them really well fed, I can keep ich at bay. I feed nori 1-2 times a day, pellets once a day and mysis usually every other day.

I'm most concerned about aggression with these 2 but maybe it will work out.....worst case I'll just have an excuse to set up another tank:)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I've had the pb for about a month. Never got ich although I do believe its in my system. The 180 is not yet running so all fish will be added at once......

I'm hoping if I can keep them really well fed, I can keep ich at bay. I feed nori 1-2 times a day, pellets once a day and mysis usually every other day.

I'm most concerned about aggression with these 2 but maybe it will work out.....worst case I'll just have an excuse to set up another tank:)

I am ashamed to admit I have killed literally 2 dozen Achilles and powder blue tangs trying to keep them alive with your methods in tanks with ich. They slowly get worse and the parasite sucks the life out of them. Even if they eat well they have fat bellies but lose muscle mass and are thin everywhere else until they quit and die. It's really horrible and honestly I am so ashamed that I was so hard headed. Please do not make this mistake...

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we'll see :) i havent seen ich on any of my fish for at least a few months......maybe (hopefully) it's out of my system.....

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about it it's actually possible I don't have ich anymore. I moved recently and while I was dealing with setting up my temporary tank, I had the fish in one tank, coral in another and all the rock in a brute. I had it like this for about 5 days.

When I put everything together in the stock tank, I used 100% new water. Its certainly possible all the ich died in that 5 days when there were no hosts......

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't put 2 of the same genus of Tangs into such a small tank.

vincentthai.vo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks......

Here is my Achilles and powder blue together , my tank was cycled and they were the first 2 fish latterly the first 2 . I put them in both at the same time . And there are Zero aggression I guess Aslong one fish have to be bigger then the other . anyways 3fordfamily have warned me to do HYPO since I had no corals . I was being hard headed and didn't listen . A few days later they broke out with ich . And now I'm currently doing hypo lol ! . But really no agression . I actually had the powder blue first but I took him out for 24 hours and re introduce both of them at the same time . Just listen to everyone on here because they are right ! lol
28426af7ee707ec01de43e38440599bc.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back