Acro browned out base but colorful new growth

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for a browned out coral to behave like this? It got pretty beat up during the mounting process and got completely browned out. All the new growth looks great but the old remains dark brown. Will this ever color up at the base?
IMG_1873.jpeg
IMG_1872.jpeg

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’m fairly sure you can see brown only (old growth) in one image and a brighter green color (new growth) in the other. I’m just asking if the base typically colors up after browning out. Not sure why it matters if the light were blue or white to get an answer to that.

OP
OP
Sticker shock

Sticker shock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bit shaded in areas, but so far only the new growth has shown even the lightest bit of color so far. But that definitely makes sense. And unfortunately all the new growth is facing away from the front of the tank and can only be seen from a top down view

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a bit shaded in areas, but so far only the new growth has shown even the lightest bit of color so far. But that definitely makes sense. And unfortunately all the new growth is facing away from the front of the tank and can only be seen from a top down view
Of coarse, that's Murphys law. LOL

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not uncommon for frags to brown during shipping and early acclimation. Can take some weeks or months to clear up but much better then bleach white.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it sometimes happens that the existing frag will remain brown while all new growth will show color. It will color up a bit over time but usually never looks as good as the new growth.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have 4 that are a gorgeous color of “chocolate love” (since we love a hobby that anyone can randomly call something anything) and have another, like OP, that is “chocolate love” on one side facing light and a very sexy “hint of aqua marine velvet magic pixie dust yellow” facing away from the light. Glad to read that these will color up eventually. So to be clear, I should just leave them be, don’t move or touch? I have a couple frags in a rack that shipped in with some funk on them and I accidentally removed the slime coat(I think) while dipping and they are white. Should I assume white is the absent of life?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 that are a gorgeous color of “chocolate love” (since we love a hobby that anyone can randomly call something anything) and have another, like OP, that is “chocolate love” on one side facing light and a very sexy “hint of aqua marine velvet magic pixie dust yellow” facing away from the light. Glad to read that these will color up eventually. So to be clear, I should just leave them be, don’t move or touch? I have a couple frags in a rack that shipped in with some funk on them and I accidentally removed the slime coat(I think) while dipping and they are white. Should I assume white is the absent of life?
White=bad.
But if you see polyps still, there may be a glimmer of hope.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back