Acroporas in a fluval 13.5

Jonathanw1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a fluval 13.5 with the stock light and has been running for 7 months and was wondering if i would be able to grow acroporas in this tank with the stock light.

I have a 256 gph power head and a 251gph sicce return pump

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt you would be able to with the stock light, but if you are looking for a good light to grow acro's for such a small tank I would recommend the A160WE by Kessil.

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While not idea, I venture to guess you could. I have (and continue too) grown acros under fluval lights, though a bit more powerful than the stock evo light. If you are determined to give it a try, I would pick a cheap and "hardy" acro and mount it as high in the tank as possible and give it as much flow as possible.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jonathanw1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While not idea, I venture to guess you could. I have (and continue too) grown acros under fluval lights, though a bit more powerful than the stock evo light. If you are determined to give it a try, I would pick a cheap and "hardy" acro and mount it as high in the tank as possible and give it as much flow as possible.
Ok is the yellow Tips Austera Acropora a hardy coral do you know or how would you tell the hardier ones from the not?

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My hardiest acropora is a Purple Tri-color Valida Acropora It has lived in less than ideal condition where other corals died. . . but your mileage may vary. Also, I would probably not pay that much for a "test coral". Best bet might be be grabbing a no-name "assorted" acro from a local fish store, or maybe a freebie from a local hobbyist.

Things like the Bali Green Slimer and Red Planet are said do be hardy, but I don't have any experience with those.

Look like others found the Ti-color to be hardy as well:

Keep in mind it will not look super great in low light. I have an extra frag sittin on the sand bed and it's alive. . . but color is dull.

Info on your light and about people keeping SPS under it:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jonathanw1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My hardiest acropora is a Purple Tri-color Valida Acropora It has lived in less than ideal condition where other corals died. . . but your mileage may vary. Also, I would probably not pay that much for a "test coral". Best bet might be be grabbing a no-name "assorted" acro from a local fish store, or maybe a freebie from a local hobbyist.

Things like the Bali Green Slimer and Red Planet are said do be hardy, but I don't have any experience with those.

Look like others found the Ti-color to be hardy as well:

Keep in mind it will not look super great in low light. I have an extra frag sittin on the sand bed and it's alive. . . but color is dull.

Info on your light and about people keeping SPS under it:

Ok thank you for this i will look into it

Upvote 0

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will be possible. I run that tank with stock lighting for a low tech planted tank. It is pushing about 50 par at the bottom running at 50%. The stock lid does give you the option of adding a second strip of lights which would definitely help.

Upvote 0

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it will be possible. I run that tank with stock lighting for a low tech planted tank. It is pushing about 50 par at the bottom running at 50%. The stock lid does give you the option of adding a second strip of lights which would definitely help.
hello. It is a good thing that I check before creating a new threath..... because think you just answered my question. I am using my Fluval flex 15 as a saltwater tank.... and it is doing good with fish only, but I want to add an anemone to it..... but the stock light is not enough..... I was thinking of adding 1-2 additional full spectrum led lights (with suction cup to the lid). would that work??? basically, my question is if lights "combine".... thank you in advance

Upvote 0

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hello. It is a good thing that I check before creating a new threath..... because think you just answered my question. I am using my Fluval flex 15 as a saltwater tank.... and it is doing good with fish only, but I want to add an anemone to it..... but the stock light is not enough..... I was thinking of adding 1-2 additional full spectrum led lights (with suction cup to the lid). would that work??? basically, my question is if lights "combine".... thank you in advance
I would NOT use suction cups to attach a light as it will inevitably fall. . . Into the water. Yes you can use multiple lights, but I would not specifically look for “full spectrum” rather a coral or reef specific light/spectrum. I would probably ditch the stock light and use one red specific light rather than keep the stock and add more lights. I ditched the lid entirely on my Flex but if you do this keep in mind evaporation will increase.

Upvote 0

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NOT use suction cups to attach a light as it will inevitably fall. . . Into the water. Yes you can use multiple lights, but I would not specifically look for “full spectrum” rather a coral or reef specific light/spectrum. I would probably ditch the stock light and use one red specific light rather than keep the stock and add more lights. I ditched the lid entirely on my Flex but if you do this keep in mind evaporation will increase.
Thank you very much for your reply. I obviously have a lot to learn!!! I will start googling for coral specific spectrum lights. Maybe I can find one that is not too expensive. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear it……

Upvote 0

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the greatest plan to use a stock light but it could work I guess. As others said it want have great colors. If you decide to try it, get a green goblin anacropora or green Bali slimer. Both incredibly hardy and fast growers,

Upvote 0

matt_work27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure u can grow acros under those stock lights. Definitely try out some montis, birdnest, and pocilipora before you throw in an acro. I feel like you upgrading to an ai blade might be a decent option if you are willing to dish out the cash and want a light that you know can grow acros

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jonathanw1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not the greatest plan to use a stock light but it could work I guess. As others said it want have great colors. If you decide to try it, get a green goblin anacropora or green Bali slimer. Both incredibly hardy and fast growers,
what light would you recommend a blade, Kessil, or prime?

Upvote 0

caro325

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good inexpensive light for that tank would be a noopsyche k7 pro iii
GM, again, pardon me for using the op thread, but was wondering if this light would work be enough to grow corals and/or anemones in the fluval flex 15……..,,

Attachments

• IMG_2210.jpeg
    IMG_2210.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Seven Year Nap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago I put my first Acro in my fluval 13.5 under stock lighting, though my rock work is pretty high.

I ended up trying a Miyagi Tort Acro since it was cheap at the time. I believe I've got a very small amount of encrusting since adding it based on pictures but I'm happy to update in another month or so if it survives.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back