OP
P

PaulE61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats this? I live in a small space and a dehumidifier can dial in to whatever % humidity you'd prefer...
These run 16 hours a day and struggle to keep the condensation down, that was the main point of the post, the tank evaporation adding to the overall moisture in the air

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry was wondering what a drying room was. Could the dehumidifier be malfunctioning or undersized? Seems to be the solution... Maybe I'm missing something...

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew someone ask that, Lol
I have a waterbox 60.2, I use about 8-9 litres RO a week, but to be honest I really need to accurately measure the evaporation
one Dehumidifier holds 2.5 litres, I used to empty it once a week, now about every three days
the other holds 3.5 litres and again about every three days
I've had the smaller one running for years as we are prone to excess condensation, got a another due to increased condensation after tank setup.
It's that engineering mind trying to get to the root cause, lol. Personally, to answer your question, I have an older acrylic 240 and the top have acrylic covers. My stand is open, in the back though and I still go through more than 5 gal a week. One thing that hurts is you're removing the humidity of everyone connected to your ventilation, not just your apartment.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not gonna get Into the argument of o2 exchange but I will say this! If you decide to cover your tank “bad idea for me” don’t use acrylic it will warp in a couple days you gotta use glass or lexan aka polycarbonate… it will block light for sure and get salt creep fast.. o2 I’d say it makes it worse but I can’t testify if it’s true or not.. mesh is the way to go!

OP
OP
P

PaulE61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's that engineering mind trying to get to the root cause, lol. Personally, to answer your question, I have an older acrylic 240 and the top have acrylic covers. My stand is open, in the back though and I still go through more than 5 gal a week. One thing that hurts is you're removing the humidity of everyone connected to your ventilation, not just your apartment.
Hi Poseiden03
Uk apartments or Flats as we call them, generally don't have connecting ductwork so that's not a problem, what I'm trying to get my head around is... are the de-humidifiers drying the space and its increasing the tank evaporation or are they just mopping up the extra moisture the tank is creating?

OP
OP
P

PaulE61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry was wondering what a drying room was. Could the dehumidifier be malfunctioning or undersized? Seems to be the solution... Maybe I'm missing something...
Hi TokenReefer
A lot of uk propertys suffer condensation and resulting black mould, its like a big thing at the moment over here, so de-humidifiers are recommended to help deal with it, and that's a big selling point with them, to dry rooms, also people swear by them to dry clothes instead of on radiators with increases the moisture leading to condensation and mould, I've attached a photo, btw not my home, just an example, bad but it can get much worse.
condensation-mold.jpg

bruce337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Anyone covered their tank with plexiglass to limit evaporation?, will affect my params if I do?, its causing excess condensation in my home leading to mould, Manchester UK atm is cold damp and 5 degrees C today, opening the windows beyond a bit of ventilation is not an option.
i have old 55 gal hex with lid there are openings in back and 1 side and i aim 1 wavemaker up to agitate water surface and the out from pump as well. i need to top off ~2gal ~1-2 weeks

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use glass covers on two tanks in my house and evaporation is significantly less than my tank with mesh cover. Aside from less frequent top offs, I have no difference or issues

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • No

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 9 11.4%
Back