Adding calcium acetate

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, can I use calcium acetate and magnesium acetate to boost the calcium and magnesium in my tank and then potassium bicarbonate to keep the PH up?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not really. It will massively boost alkalinity when the acetate is metabolized if you use them for any substantial boosts.

I also do not recommend potassium salts for alk additives as potassium will rise too much and bicarbonate lowers pH while it boosts alk.

OP
OP
N

nmds9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not really. It will massively boost alkalinity when the acetate is metabolized if you use them for any substantial boosts.

I also do not recommend potassium salts for alk additives as potassium will rise too much and bicarbonate lowers pH while it boosts alk.
Ok I see, because I had a bottle of calcium acetate and magnesium acetate in my hand and I wanted to use them to increase the calcium and magnesium in the tank and it seemed inappropriate to use them.

yury88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium acetate adds twice as much carbon as calcium formate for the same amount of calcium carbonate.

So have a look at the AFR instructions and keep in mind that you should not dose over 0.5x.

The problem with acetate is that it is a huge source of carbon. I can be beneficial in the right direction, or I can ruin your PH if you dose too much.

And potassium bicarbonate is useless for PH boosts; you need hydroxides. Calcium Hydroxide (Limewater) should be the first thing on your mind when you need to boost your PH.

I do not recommend to use acetates as main source of dKH, Mg, but you can use it in 20-30% part to boost bacteria

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all saltwater organisms consume alkalinity causing calcium and magnesium depletion?

Generally yes. Exceptions in a reef tank are rising or falling nitrate (or dosing it) and using a sulfur denitrator.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back