Adding fish post velvet

Glenn Siegel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a velvet outbreak that was treated about four months ago. The fish that survived have looked good, eating fine, and appear back to normal for the past several weeks.

They were not removed from the tank where the velvet outbreak occurred. Is it safe to add a new fish? Does the parasite remain in the tank and the existing develop an immunity of some sort that may be rekindled after adding a new fish that was not previously exposed to it? Essentially looking to see if there is more of a risk now given the fact that the tank at one point months ago had velvet that was treated where there has been no sign of it.

Thanks!

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Glenn, (great name) so, because of the fact that ich and velvet can be completely eradicated and you went through this 4 months ago without any reoccurrence (right?) I’m sure you’re good to go. Interested in where others take this. Good luck bud!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a velvet outbreak that was treated about four months ago. The fish that survived have looked good, eating fine, and appear back to normal for the past several weeks.

They were not removed from the tank where the velvet outbreak occurred. Is it safe to add a new fish? Does the parasite remain in the tank and the existing develop an immunity of some sort that may be rekindled after adding a new fish that was not previously exposed to it? Essentially looking to see if there is more of a risk now given the fact that the tank at one point months ago had velvet that was treated where there has been no sign of it.

Thanks!
Although results look good, I am often Leery to add fish but if several weeks have passed by you Should be safe. As its a flagellate, it rarely comes back in a vengeance. What you can do for assurance is add ruby Rally Pro to your tank as it addresses velvet and is also reef safe.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish stayed in your tank, Ick/Velvet did not go away, your fish developed an immunity to it. The only way to eradicate Ick/Velvet from a tank, to my knowledge, is to do a Fallow Period (NO FISH) for around 90 days.

I had an outbreak as well, lost over half my fish almost over night it seems. I went Fallow for 78 days and I introduced a 40watt UV sterilizer flowing about 280gph. I have not had any issues since.

Last edited:
Back