Adding Male Bellus to 300 with Female Bellus

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the Angel Experts out here :

I have a DD300 and about 1-1/2 years ago i picked up a Female Bellus , She was and has been the only Angelfish in this display , i have Tangs and all smaller fish for the most part , over the weekend i scored a Male Bellus that was just about the same size as the Female . After acclimation and adding to the display the Female seemed very happy to have a mate as she swam very close to the Male and even seemed to chase off the tangs when they came to investigate the new roomie . The next morning after lights on she was absolutely relentless in chasing the male thru out the tank and would not stop ? i was able to catch her and put her in my sump for now , so my question for the experts is this :

Will leaving her in the sump for a period of days stop this once added back into the display ?

How long can i / should i leave her in there

Once added back into the display if she goes back to chasing him again should i just leave them and let them figure it out or try and get one out again and assume i cant have a pair ?

Bellus male.jpg Bellus pair.PNG

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s hit or miss with them. However I had the same experience as you even after keeping the male in an acclimation box for about a week. The aggression just didn’t ease so I had to remove the male only because I like the female‘s coloration better. The other consideration is you have a much larger tank than mine so hopefully with the larger tank you’ll have better luck. Try the acclimation box method....

Memoreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact same situation I had. I have a 300 dd as well. Had the male in there for a while and introduced a female.
The male kept bothering the female after few days. The female would be stressed out quite a bit. In the end, my male killed the female.
If you want a male...I would recommend getting 2-3 female.

in your case, it's the female chasing the male. I would let it run it's course and keep close look to see if the male is stressed out. Floating on side.

Back