Adding new rock to current tank

Greg B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up some white reef rock that is dry and clean. When I built my tank a year ago I used homemade rock with Portland cement rock salt sand and crushed egg shells. Soaked and changed the water until nothing leached into the water and then cycled the tank. Now I want to change it to something cleaner looking but I don't want to mess up the bio in my tank. Should I move the rockwork I currently have in there and place the new in? Or will it be OK just adding the new in. I also have about a 2 inch sand bed of fine sand and crushed aragonate. If I put the new in with the old should I use a started benificial bacteria bottle in the tank to help speed up the process? This is a tank that has fish and corals. Some zoanthids and some chalice and montipora digitata. Thanks in advance.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up some white reef rock that is dry and clean. When I built my tank a year ago I used homemade rock with Portland cement rock salt sand and crushed egg shells. Soaked and changed the water until nothing leached into the water and then cycled the tank. Now I want to change it to something cleaner looking but I don't want to mess up the bio in my tank. Should I move the rockwork I currently have in there and place the new in? Or will it be OK just adding the new in. I also have about a 2 inch sand bed of fine sand and crushed aragonate. If I put the new in with the old should I use a started benificial bacteria bottle in the tank to help speed up the process? This is a tank that has fish and corals. Some zoanthids and some chalice and montipora digitata. Thanks in advance.
If you remove the established rock, you will remove a large portion of your tank's biofilter. I would add the new rock while the old is still there. No need to add extra bacteria. If in a month or 2 you want to rescape and remove some old rock, it will be fine.

OP
OP
G

Greg B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you remove the established rock, you will remove a large portion of your tank's biofilter. I would add the new rock while the old is still there. No need to add extra bacteria. If in a month or 2 you want to rescape and remove some old rock, it will be fine.
How will I know when I am ready to remove the old rock? Would it be safe to remove all of the old rock at that time or piece by piece?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will I know when I am ready to remove the old rock? Would it be safe to remove all of the old rock at that time or piece by piece?
Do you have a sump? You could put the old rock there... If not, I wouldn't remove too much too fast.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back