Aggressive Hippo Tang

__________ben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
Just added some new fish to my tank and am worried about my hippo tang's (~5") aggression to my new Niger Trigger (~1.5"). Have had no issues with aggression before. The hippo has been chasing the trigger non-stop and seems to be picking at it. The trigger looks super anxious and I just feel bad for it. Not sure if I should just let things calm down on their own or what to do otherwise.
When I'm standing at the tank, I move and scare the hippo away but I obviously can't just be standing there non-stop.

Tank is ~200 gallon system with:
1 blue-green chromis
1 threadfin cardinalfish
2 yellow corris wrasse
1 desjaridini tang
1 hippo tang
4 clowns
ADDED TODAY (all small, >2") - 1 yellow watchman gobi, 1 white freckled tang and 1 niger trigger

OP
OP
B

__________ben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nigers are pretty aggressive, it should be able to hold its own. Is the hippo aggressive to the new tang? Enough rock scape?
That's why I figured the Niger would be okay but it's been hanging around in the top corner of the tank near the filter intake. The new tang has been hiding so I don’t think the hippo knows it's there yet.

If the trigger would go hide then I would feel less worried because it would give the hippo time to cool off but it's really just hanging around out in the open.

Here's 2 photos of the tank but they don't really do it justice to show the hiding spots and everything

IMG_6087.JPG
IMG_6084.jpg

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hippo that when it reached 5 inches went psychotic and killed several bigger fish. I didn't know who the assassin was until I caught it beating on a harlequin tusk, ripping its fins.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hippo that when it reached 5 inches went psychotic and killed several bigger fish. I didn't know who the assassin was until I caught it beating on a harlequin tusk, ripping its fins.
They tend to get confused and forget where they are. It is helpful to teach them short songs about proper behavior. Clownfish seem to get easily frustrated by dealing with them.

OP
OP
B

__________ben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the answer but now I’m scared this is what’s starting :loudly-crying-face: things calmed down slowly but assuming it’s only because it’s night

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 39.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back