AI Prime HD vs Hydra 26HD

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to growing corals and LED light set ups. My tank is a 24 Gallon cube measuring 18x18x18. I was wondering if the Prime HD would be enough or if the Hydra 26HD would be better or possibly overkill for the tank. Thanks in advance

tangyou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to growing corals and LED light set ups. My tank is a 24 Gallon cube measuring 18x18x18. I was wondering if the Prime HD would be enough or if the Hydra 26HD would be better or possibly overkill for the tank. Thanks in advance
I think the hydra 26 is overkill for a 24 tank. You could go a more afforded able route with same results in led kessil 160. What corals are you focusing on?

OP
OP
Hunter399

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently undecided on corals I will choose. Ideally I want to be able to grow anything I choose and not be limited by the light.

tangyou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently undecided on corals I will choose. Ideally I want to be able to grow anything I choose and not be limited by the light.
The hydra 26 is the best LED light in my opinion that will grow ALL corals, softies and very tough small polyp stonies as well. If you have budgeted for the hydra 26 I'd go with that. I just bought the hydra 52 HD LED for my 220g tank. I actually bought 3 of them for total coverage!!

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydra 26 is the best LED light in my opinion that will grow ALL corals, softies and very tough small polyp stonies as well. If you have budgeted for the hydra 26 I'd go with that. I just bought the hydra 52 HD LED for my 220g tank. I actually bought 3 of them for total coverage!!
I agree on going with the Hydra. I had a Prime HD on my 24g cube, same dimensions and I have a PAR meter. I did not find PAR at the top of the tank to get higher than about 225 with the light at 9". As you spread out from center the PAR dropped of pretty fast. If I were staying with that tank, I would not really try SPS heavy. I had healthy stylophora but never really tried anything else. I think you would really have to have them dead center. All my other corals thrived with the Prime however. Its a quality light.

I got my RSR 250 with the 2 Hydra's. just set it up today so no real opinion on them other than they are pretty LOL

OP
OP
Hunter399

Hunter399

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Hydra 26HD would I struggle with it being overpowered? Thanks for the reply and help! Been struggling on which one too choose between the two. Rather have more power and be able to turn it down then be limited in the future.

tangyou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Hydra 26HD would I struggle with it being overpowered? Thanks for the reply and help! Been struggling on which one too choose between the two. Rather have more power and be able to turn it down then be limited in the future.
You can turn it down so don't worry about overpowering.

Back