OP
M

mk_reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was kind of wrong about the green thing.. but the fact the white is probably an epoxy ink applied prior to reflow is correct.
Maybe just something that happens when old..
They weren't really designed to be "reused".

For the few I did I never had much problem with the white and reflowing (using a hot air fryer btw) BUT using leaded solder on clean boards allowed me to use much less heat.

The lead free solder used on most boards nowadays can be the issue when repairing stuff like this.
alos the fact that al core circuit boards really dissipate heat.. ;) as they should.

Bought one of these but never used it. well not that exact one.

I'd have to look but think I never went over like 390F for the leaded solder.

For 14$ I'll let you know how it works I'll market it lol.

OP
OP
M

mk_reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, I just connected with someone that literally worked in the factory repairing these lights, unreal... No hot plates, just soldering tweezers.

OP
OP
M

mk_reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update and different approach that I'm going to try as stuff comes in from overseas. I'm so glad I got to connect with this gentleman who worked on these lights as well as the older hydras.

The new approach is coating the led with amtech v3-tf flux, heating the puck gently with a hot plate that @oreo54 recommend, while pushing a low melt SMD removal solder called chip quick into the side of the LED which should release it. Also recommend after replacing diodes to go ahead and coat the back of the puck in thermal silicon for better heat transfer between puck and heatsink. Feeling very optimistic and excited!

OP
OP
M

mk_reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LONG TIME NO TALK

FINALLY GOT AROUND TO REPLACING THE LEDS ON THE AI SOL. ALL LEDS ARE NEW, ROYAL BLUE, BLUE, CYAN AND UV ON THE WHITE CHANNEL.
1000008348.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back