Aiptasia in seahorse tank :(

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aiptasia and bristleworms in my seahorse tank are getting out of control. Something stung and killed one of my ponies and I can't let that happen again. I've trying several times of bristleworm traps but I'm at a loss on how to get rid of all the aiptasia. Any of the fish that will eat it will also eat the corals, and they will outcompete the seahorses at feeding time. Several of the aiptasia are in places that I can't reach to inject them.

Is there anything that will eat aiptasia but leave corals alone? I know, it's probably a crap shoot. :(
Sue

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also purchased berghia from Dinkins, they were good sized. Did the job, so far haven't seen another astapia.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a disease risk to your tank and they might not work

You should take the system apart and clean it the right way to effect a skip cycle total clean, there's threads on that, and then before the rocks go back in they're surgically cleared of aiptasia. This is a no disease risk and it works.

Anything less is taking chances with your reef because it doesn't have a sixty page work thread handy for saving hundreds of tanks, but that cleaning method does.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should dedicate to clearing out your system via skip cycle tank surgery.

We can do it in ordered steps. You might get away with doing rocks alone without having to clean the sandbed, but in the end a fully clean setup runs best and is healthiest for animals.

There's no other method I'd ever use in my system that's for sure. It didn't get this old by me taking chances with it. I play hardball on my reef, it knows it must comply and it does.

The bristles are taken out with the sand and tank cleaning but some will remain in the rocks, they'll slowly try and compete back up.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We should dedicate to clearing out your system via skip cycle tank surgery.

We can do it in ordered steps. You might get away with doing rocks alone without having to clean the sandbed, but in the end a fully clean setup runs best and is healthiest for animals.

There's no other method I'd ever use in my system that's for sure. It didn't get this old by me taking chances with it. I play hardball on my reef, it knows it must comply and it does.

The bristles are taken out with the sand and tank cleaning but some will remain in the rocks, they'll slowly try and compete back up.
That's a bit..... drastic... for only aiptasia

I've dealt with far worse and my tank is still thriving. Not to say what you're suggesting dosent work because it definitely does, though there are easier ways for aiptasia control

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinkins aquatics is my go to bhergia source, they even gave me 2 extra :)

They'll reproduce in the tank, so no need to by alot
Thank you, good prices! I have 6 in my cart, just waiting to hear if they will survive 2 day shipping or if I have to pay for one-night. I have some large aiptasia - can they even take care of those or only the aiptasia that are just starting to grow?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The aiptasia and bristleworms in my seahorse tank are getting out of control. Something stung and killed one of my ponies and I can't let that happen again. I've trying several times of bristleworm traps but I'm at a loss on how to get rid of all the aiptasia. Any of the fish that will eat it will also eat the corals, and they will outcompete the seahorses at feeding time. Several of the aiptasia are in places that I can't reach to inject them.

Is there anything that will eat aiptasia but leave corals alone? I know, it's probably a crap shoot. :(
Sue
I would not place berghia with seahorses which may attempt to eat them. Peppermint are safer but are also hit and miss on the aptasia. If there are under 20, you can hit them manually with use of a syringe, or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not place berghia with seahorses which may attempt to eat them. Peppermint are safer but are also hit and miss on the aptasia. If there are under 20, you can hit them manually with use of a syringe, or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
Depending on the species of seahorse, most smaller species should be fine with them

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, good prices! I have 6 in my cart, just waiting to hear if they will survive 2 day shipping or if I have to pay for one-night. I have some large aiptasia - can they even take care of those or only the aiptasia that are just starting to grow?
They'll eat aiptasia of any size, they're nocturnal so you wouldn't see them during the day, I added mine at night which I think is recommended. I'd do one night shipping to be safe

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. This is the first I've heard of berghia being a risk to seahorses. I have 9 adult erectus..... you think they are in danger if I add berghia????

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. This is the first I've heard of berghia being a risk to seahorses. I have 9 adult erectus..... you think they are in danger if I add berghia????
I think they're saying the seahorses may be a threat to the berghia, not the other way around. So, they're saying the seahorses may eat the nudibranchs.

The berghias pose absolutely no threat to the seahorses.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Erectus are large enough to consume them. The risk especially with smaller ponies are digestibility. One of the reasons brine shrimp and pods are popular based on palatability as seahorses may prey on the nerghias

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're saying the seahorses may be a threat to the berghia, not the other way around. So, they're saying the seahorses may eat the nudibranchs.

I'd say only the smaller bhergia are at any risk, and with bhergia being primarily nocturnal the seahorses shouldn't have any chances to actually prey on them

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh, OK.... thanks for the clarification.... that makes a lot more sense. Hopefully since the ponies are diurnal and the berghias are nocturnal, the two shall never meet. :)

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Make sure your peps are truely peps. . . and or aptasia eating filefish.

Also what are you feeding the tank? I know seahorses have to eat frequently, but anyway you can reduce the food the peps are getting to starve them into eating the aptasia?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back