Aiptasia?

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave in and removed all the rock and wire brushed everthing. Moved all my corals to other tanks. Now just watching.

Wildman926

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Kleins butterfly took care of all my aptasia and mejano anemone. He now eats everything I throw in the tank, and does not bother my LPS of softies in the tank.

OP
OP
FLipp

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good news my friends! not a single aiptasia in the 57. I added about 9 peppermint shrimps and im happy to say they did the job! re aquascaped the tank last night w the help of JP-reef. thanks buddy!

trueblackpercula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well aptasia are really a pest that drove me crazy. What I did to full them was feeding my SPS pappone every three days and it cuassed them to explode. the only reason I am telling you this is, If your feeding your tank heavy you are also feeding them. so you ask what did i do to get them out. well I did try aptaisa X and all that did was help them multiply so i don't recommend it as it did not work in my case. but what did work was i remove all the live rock i could in my tank that carved them out of the ock work. I then place the rocks back in the tank and purchased a copper band buttlerfly. Now since then she has been eating what i coudnt get off the rocks. I am happy to report that this has worked for me very well, I plan on return feeding Pappone again starting this weekend and hope they dont return .

MacKrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody seen peppermint shrimp pic at chalice corals? I have some Apitasia and was thinking of using the ahrimp method but dnt wana risk them picking at my chalices instead. Thanks, sorry to crash the thread:)

OP
OP
FLipp

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i noticed after they were done w the aiptasia they started to get interested in the corals.
id say just remove them whenever you've noticed the aiptasia gone.
they were only in there for less than a week and got over 100 aiptasias out.

OP
OP
FLipp

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd remove the really expensive corals that you wouldnt want picked at.
if you have another tank is a good idea to move most corals, which is what i did.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, ordinary copperbands can be hard to get eating, and to last long in the tank if not.

I think the type I got (a Chelmon marginalis) are easier to acclimate and maintain the ordinary copperbands. Mine loves Rod's food. I got it from Live Aquaria.

Last edited:

Archie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
congrats on being aiptasia free.. i wouldnt get rid of those shrimps just yet as there might be more what the naked eyes cant see. I know this as like i said before, my copperband butterflyfish ate everything that i can see.. then i did a remodel of my scaping and found aiptasia on some of the rocks that were probably hard to get to for him.

Another instance why I tell you to not get rid of your aiptasia eater(s) is because I do believe you really will not be aiptasia free eventhough you dont see anything right now. When i cleaned my skimmer thoroughly last month, I found out that probably 30+ of them were inside the skimmer body leading me to believe they still reproduce and their seeds or whatever they start from are sent back in our main system to spread again. Only those aiptasia eaters really see them and get rid of them before they grow into a size that is visible to our eyes.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back