Algae ID & Vibrant Testing

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
've been trying to put off adding more CUC until everything settles down a bit but maybe I need to do it sooner.
yup. CUC does SOOO much more than we today seem to realise. And fwiw one of the things I dint like about The Vibe was the somewhat consistent report of snail death. Secondly that does look like what happens to many using Vib.

Heres something unpopular. I dont use anything in my tanks. My Po4 is .25 on api last time I checked, the No3 is high too. I have on 2in spot of cyano on a rack. been there about 3 days. I used to never qt, I use natural mostly unfiltered seawater, put stuff in the tank right from the ocean too. I run an undersized skimmer and a large refugium. My corals grow great. My Ph is always above 81 82.
I kinda think the constant "battle mat be the prob" A new tank probably needs the ugly phase to burn out things like diatoms(read randys article), and other macro flora and fauna to compete with other nastier ugly ones. Most of the ugly ones are pretty easily out competed for nutrints just by a healthy and strong biofilter. Something a young tank wont have. From all Ive read we still dont know what can truly be considered beneficial bacteria in a tank. beyond the common nitrifying ones. Thus Ive avoided chemiclean. When I rehabbed the last tank from an overfeeding cyano fueled crash, I used a small refugium and light. it took 3 months. Didn't come back till 2 months ago.
IMO, once one has cleared all organisms now deemed unwanted, it leaves a huge opening for another organism to take root. In all honesty, Id stop all the stuff go back to basics maybe do something to boost the nitrifying bacteria and biofilter and be patient.

That tank looks bloody great(need more corals), and its only going to get better looking. Whats going on now is like a zit. It happens, we all get them, it'll pass and eventually we'll get another one.
One of the great pieces of advice from Paulb and most other older and the legendary reefers is, the tank will go through phases, stuff will come and go and you do have to make a plan to keep it down but...
I was fortunate enough to be poor and have to work with only the most natural of approaches. and yea, hes and the others are right.

Wait till you get the lime green cyano. Boy that's weird stuff. wanna guess what I did to get rid of it?

oh,and the stuff in the pictures. we all have that stuff...

OP
OP
DeepBrew

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @Scubabeth and @saltyfilmfolks !

I've let the dinos be for a few weeks now, watching them slowly take over the sand and hoping they'll eventually dissipate. Today I noticed a zoa colony on a small rock in the sand bed closed up because the dinos are starting to cover it. I have a tendency to let it go too long then I lose a coral, I'd like to avoid that if possible. I've started reading through @twilliard 's thread on treating dinos with metronidazole but haven't gotten very far and want to read as much as possible before considering it.

I like the back to basic and being patient idea, but it can be hard to for me. I feel like I need to do something to fix it. I will say that one thing I don't like about the look of the tank after Vibrant it that the rocks are too clean. Most of the rocks came from Tampa Bay are are covered with all manners of stuff. Most of it wasn't causing any problems but Vibrant is not selective, it takes out everything.

I'm working on the more corals part. WWC sucked me into their live sale yesterday and I see that Cherry Corals is having one Saturday. I'd like to find something cool to encrust all over the old conch shell in the right corner.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people I've seen trying Vibrant have simple export problems. The dino's etc that seem to scare people, are the first thing to easily disappear when export is done properly. Biggest mistake I see is thinking that a skimmer exports anything; it doesn't. It removes no ammonia/ammonium/urea at all, the main food for algae. It does take your food particles away, however, that you paid for.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back