landlocked303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About two months ago I bought an algae scrubber from Santa Monica filtration (Drop 1.4). I have had it running and am getting ZERO growth except for some nasty slightly brown goo. In my tank however I am getting a very small amount of green hair algae. Any advice on how to get the growth in the scrubber and not on my rocks?

OP
OP
landlocked303

landlocked303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing any other nutrient reduction methods?(gfo etc//)

@SantaMonica @SantaMonicaHelp

I was running GFO but was seeing adverse effects on my coral so I stopped running it when I got the algae scrubber. The tank bounced back well but now I'm seeing algae growth on my rocks... and none in my scrubber.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen that waterfall scrubbers work much better for some reason. You may want to rub some algae from your rocks on the screen to seed it.

OP
OP
landlocked303

landlocked303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen that waterfall scrubbers work much better for some reason. You may want to rub some algae from your rocks on the screen to seed it.

I may try that although I was under the impression that the scrubber should grow turf algae rather than green hair algae? Too late on the waterfall scrubber... Maybe on the next build!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may try that although I was under the impression that the scrubber should grow turf algae rather than green hair algae? Too late on the waterfall scrubber... Maybe on the next build!

Ive not heard that. Probably from walter Adey who invented it. But hair algae is what most grow. Mine grows hair algae quickly.

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbers will usually go thru different stages of algae growth before they will start growing the green turf algae you want

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 53 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 57 46.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back