Algae scrubber with chaeto in my refuigm. Is that ok?

OP
OP
Pisquini

Pisquini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Santa Monica,

It shouldn't hurt kepping mine my size sense it fits and is working? Or should I make it smaller? Can it be too big?

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will only hurt in that it won't reach the maximum filtering that a small screen would (because it will always be a flat thin layer that never grows 3D into the light and flow). So, since it's pretty simple, it might a good idea to go ahead and cut it in half. Saves on water flow too.

OP
OP
Pisquini

Pisquini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say cut in half, you mean Vertical? Or cut in half Horizontal? Right now it is 14X12ish. If you mean vertical, which is what I think you mean...how much should I take out...Like an inch down the center.

Also it makes that squirt noise from the get-go, so it shouldn't hurt expanding the slot more right?

Thanks again

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey would mid you mind posting how you made your ATS. I am looking to do one myself and just not sure on the design yet

OP
OP
Pisquini

Pisquini

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys, it has been one month and all my stats in my tank are perfect. My corals and fish are thriving and my rose bubbletip anenome just split. My ATS is full of algae.

What is weird is when I cut down my ATS I also got rid of all my Cheato except a very small ball in my refiugim. Now my refiugim is full agian of Cheato. I thought if all was working well, my Cheato wouldn't grow anymore. Any idea what is going on? Any info would be great!

Ammo = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0
Phos = .10

just an update...I am gonna get rid of some more Cheato Sunday when I do my tank maint.

What does everyone think?

Thanks

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still have enough nutrients in your system to supply both the scrubber and chaeto. Once the nutrients start becoming limited, the scrubber will get them first, and the chaeto will stop growing or shrink.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back