Algae Turf Scrubbers

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info! I'm definitely going to set one up with my new 45g cube tank. Is calculating the flow rate really that important? I'm planning on setting it up from my return from the display. I'm kinda limited on space under the sump and don't want a super wide ATS in the way of everything.

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info! I'm definitely going to set one up with my new 45g cube tank. Is calculating the flow rate really that important? I'm planning on setting it up from my return from the display. I'm kinda limited on space under the sump and don't want a super wide ATS in the way of everything.

there has been alot of testing done and the published numbers abve seem to be the magic number. remember when calculating your screen size. you can use both sides of the screen to get more surface area

yu will need a screen that is 7" by 7' that will even give you an extra few sq inches. also remember that keeping the lights at about 4" away seems to be best

bob

scott26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scott,

do have any pics of your scrubber?

maybe since you just set it up, you can record yur nitrate and phosphate levels and update in a couple weeks when the scrubber starts to mature

bob

If you check out my sig you can see my build thread and where I am at with it currently. I haven't tested in about 2 weeks so I should do it soon but last time it was all at 0.

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check out my sig you can see my build thread and where I am at with it currently. I haven't tested in about 2 weeks so I should do it soon but last time it was all at 0.

i would be curious to see ur results. so people have found that with scrubbers, you run into the problem of the low phosphate limiting the nitrate. if you dont feed enough to ur tank you will see a rise in the nitrate. once you feed more the nitrate willd drop again. i guess the algae on the screen only becomes more efficient at removal when there are more nutrients feeding it

bob

scott26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I feed pretty well I try to feed 2 times a day with a veggie clip for the tang each day.

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have any issues with the red buble algae spreading to your main tank?

CJ

ive had this algae for over 5 years so far. it will not spread asexually or sexually. youve got to really try to get a small branch to form holdfasts.

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I feed pretty well I try to feed 2 times a day with a veggie clip for the tang each day.

i am going to try and get my scrubber built this weekend (if i have time) and i will post some pics if i do

bob

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2011-05-09_19-14-12_953.jpg

here is a pic of scott26's scrubber.......and here is a link to his build with the design pics of his scrubber https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/56629-scott26s-90-gallon-wave-front-build-7.html

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had this algae for over 5 years so far. it will not spread asexually or sexually. youve got to really try to get a small branch to form holdfasts.

Just took a look at the picture and realized it's not the red bubble algae that I'm familiar with (like green bubble algea but red). This sounds like a nice macro algae and it's pretty.

CJ

milkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my screen at Hobby Lobby, but most craft type stores have it. Its the plastic mesh they use for yarn artwork. You find it over by where they sell yarn. Hobby Lobby sells a larger sheet that is heavier gauge that is about the size of a dinner placemat. I cut my screen out of one piece of this material. My screen is 13 x 16 (208 sq in) for my 200 gal system.

Here is my simple turf scrubber made from a cheap plastic tub, two utility lights, and two CFL bulbs from Lowes. Also a picture of the turf buildup after only two weeks. I am havesting a bed of algae every 1-2 weeks right now.

Attachments

• algae_lights_thumb.jpg
    algae_lights_thumb.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 327
  • algae_screen.jpg
    algae_screen.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 346
  • algae_scrubber_thumb.jpg
    algae_scrubber_thumb.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 327

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobby Lobby has it. Put the regular http and www in front of this link;

hobbylobby.com/needlework/plastic-canvas/plastic-canvas-sheets/

scott26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wal-Mart has them as well... or any crafts store like Micheals or Joann's

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small question, how do you prevent the algae from getting transported back to your tank?

Also, is it fairly silent or will you always hear water trickling down the turf?

Thanks.

scott26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small question, how do you prevent the algae from getting transported back to your tank?

Also, is it fairly silent or will you always hear water trickling down the turf?

Thanks.

One of the key things you need to do when setting up a scrubber is use a hole saw to rough up the surface of your new smooth white screen. That way little plastic edges are brought to the surface. It should end up looking almost like Velcro (hook and loop tape). It is pretty silent it is louder then my G2 for sure and honestly I can't even hear it over my return pump.

scott26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this might be a funny question... does it smell? You know sometimes algae has that smell?

This is a common worry but the only time it will smell is if you let the algae sit out with out water flow or if it is not set up properly. This happens because what you are doing is growing living algae and that does not smell the only time it will smell is if the algae does not have enough water flow (pump off for to long) or if it does not have enough light (to much algae growth from lack of cleaning). So long as the algae is alive it will not smell.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i only had a @#$%$#%&^# fish room.....

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that do use them... Do you use chaeto or mangroves as well? I was planning on using all three with other macros, but have been told the ats will cause everything else to starve.. Any input?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back