Alk/Ca/Mg/ph chemistry help needed.

Pat613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have low pH, and calcium that fluctuates between 460 and 480 but I never dose.

Alk 10.5 - dose 1dkh red sea liquid alk daily, the salt has a dkh of 8. (I use the gap to dose more alk for the ph boost)

Calcium 460-480 (no dosing, it swings around at random)

Mg 1450 - dose 4ml red sea liquid mag daily (I find LPS “fluffier” with elevated mag)

pH 7.9 around the clock. Skimmer pulling through a co2 scrubber is making 0 difference. Additional surface agitation with open window, makes 0 difference.

20g IM Nuvo (4 fish, mixed corals)
Aquaforrest reef salt mixed to 1.025
Apex with trident for parameters (double checked occasionally with red sea tests)

My questions are, what is going on with the calcium? Why won’t the ph budge?

Any help greatly appreciated. Happy to provide any additional info. I’d like to get the ph up over 8.1, and understand what’s happening with the calcium as no uptake seems wrong if the alk is being deleted.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having issues with the tank?

Calcium fluctuating a bit is normal. I also would not be concerned with a PH of 7.9.

OP
OP
Pat613

Pat613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, my Hanna ph tster says 8.3. I'll recalibrate my Apex probe tonight. I'd calibrated it 6 weeks ago and assumed it'd still be close.

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH probes do tend to wander over time. I usually calibrate mine every 6 months or so. If your fish and corals are doing good and your happy with growth and coloration I would not chase the numbers.

It was hard for me at first as well but I think something you always have to keep in mind is that no two reef tanks are alike. Stability is much more important than having the exact number that people are shooting for at that time.

If your noticing things like “lps looks fluffier with elevated mag" then your already more tuned in to your tank than many. I personally love that style of reefing.

OP
OP
Pat613

Pat613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH probes do tend to wander over time. I usually calibrate mine every 6 months or so. If your fish and corals are doing good and your happy with growth and coloration I would not chase the numbers.

It was hard for me at first as well but I think something you always have to keep in mind is that no two reef tanks are alike. Stability is much more important than having the exact number that people are shooting for at that time.

If your noticing things like “lps looks fluffier with elevated mag" then your already more tuned in to your tank than many. I personally love that style of reefing.
Thanks! My only gripe is that growth has been slow. So if pH is a limiting factor, I just want to rule it out as a hurdle. I too am a fan of just generally being in tune with the tank :).

OP
OP
Pat613

Pat613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Annoyingly, after calibrating the tester, 7.9. I figured if one pH probe is off, better to calibrate both. The tester being more convenient to calibrate, was done first. Still going to calibrate the Apex to be super-duper sure, but I imagine it's very close, it matches a freshly calibrated tester.

Which brings me back to, why can't I get the pH up?

OP
OP
Pat613

Pat613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeration test is proving effective, latest bag of scrubber media must be trash. Go ice-cap...

OP
OP
Pat613

Pat613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you having issues with the tank?

Calcium fluctuating a bit is normal. I also would not be concerned with a PH of 7.9.
But shouldn't I have to dose it at some point? I haven't dosed any, and it never dips below 460. Alk I dose daily as it depletes ~1dkh/day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But shouldn't I have to dose it at some point? I haven't dosed any, and it never dips below 460. Alk I dose daily as it depletes ~1dkh/day.

1 dKH per day would deplete calcium at about 7 ppm per day if it is all used for calcification.

Water changes might keep the calcium up.

OP
OP
Pat613

Pat613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense, thank you so much! Nice to know there's a general ratio.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • D/C

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • Both