OP
Scott.h

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure it isn't making sense. The calcium drop associated with a 1 dKH drop in alkalinity is only about 6-7 ppm, which you probably couldn't see with a kit.

Stick to equal parts dosing based on the alk need UNLESS calcium is already too high or too low and you'll be fine. :)
I was thinking just dripping Kalk for the time being, which I never typically used in the past because I've always worried about high alk with carbon dosing. So I've learned to deal with the high spectrum, now all the sudden it seems everything has flipped around. And the only thing I really changed was that I quit carbon dosing. (Slowly over the last month) Which from what I understand should have lowered Alk before. I guess I need a second test kit, however my second tank in the house measured correctly from what it has been running, which is higher alk with no dosing.

AlexWBryant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking just dripping Kalk for the time being, which I never typically used in the past because I've always worried about high alk with carbon dosing. So I've learned to deal with the high spectrum, now all the sudden it seems everything has flipped around. And the only thing I really changed was that I quit carbon dosing. (Slowly over the last month) Which from what I understand should have lowered Alk before. I guess I need a second test kit, however my second tank in the house measured correctly from what it has been running, which is higher alk with no dosing.

Scott, did you ever find a solution to all of this? I am seeing pretty similar results with my tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the only thing I really changed was that I quit carbon dosing. (Slowly over the last month) Which from what I understand should have lowered Alk before.

Carbon dosing will not directly impact alk, unless you use something like sodium acetate that boosts alk.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back