therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to know what salt you are using and how you are measuring salinity and alkalinity.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info needed, what salt mixture U use, do you dose Ca/ alk, what corals U have?

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never added ALK and I use Red Sea Coral salt which is 12dkh. I may be switching to Fritz’s reef salt. But may have issues dosing micro nutrients not having test kits for those.
I use a lot of Red Sea products. Red Sea also have another salt but mag and calcium are much lower but I may have to deal with that over higher ALK levels

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally it’s recommended to use salt mixture with parameters close to those you want to keep. If you would like to keep your dKH around 9, I would recommend to use salt mixture closest to that. It is generally easier to use salt with slightly lower alkalinity and then supplement it , than use salt with higher alkalinity and lower it or wait for corals to consume it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never added ALK and I use Red Sea Coral salt which is 12dkh. I may be switching to Fritz’s reef salt. But may have issues dosing micro nutrients not having test kits for those.
I use a lot of Red Sea products. Red Sea also have another salt but mag and calcium are much lower but I may have to deal with that over higher ALK levels

I'm not sure what you mean by micronutrients (that's not really a seawater/oceanography terminology) but I would not dose nutrients without either a measurement, or an indication from an organism that it was suffering and you had strong reason to believe a specific element was needed.

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by micronutrients (that's not really a seawater/oceanography terminology) but I would not dose nutrients without either a measurement, or an indication from an organism that it was suffering and you had strong reason to believe a specific element was needed.
I meant to text trace elements.
As far as calcium and magnesium my corals absorb a lot so I didn’t want to switch sea salt

OP
OP
hexcolor reef

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0161.jpeg

Just picked up Red Sea salt with lower 8kh
Should be better for my all reef system