OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok what I follow is his tank was reading 3dKH so he began to use reef builder to correct it. For a while things where reading right but then he added too much and got a reading of 25. I'm am not sure what kind of water he has as a home purification system can be anything from rodi to just run through carbon. It may also have water softeners ect. attached. The fact that water changes lead to algea blooms tells me that it isn't rodi though or likely not even ro.
True, but i have a home water purifying system, it has ro, carbon, uv, uf and tds controller. However tds controller controlls tds to max 20. My tap water tds is 198.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I always mix them up....I think they gradually release aluminium over a period of prolong usage so be careful about it

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I always mix them up....I think they gradually release aluminium over a period of prolong usage so be careful about it
I change monthly.. in india every1 uses it...

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone uses it because No one thinks they have other options....you can get good granular ferric oxide from chemical vendor in bulk and use it.....it will be cheaper than seach em stuff

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are some people in Facebook who run online supply store you can contact them too.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In case you want to reduce the bioload faster you can use vodka or vinegar dosing.

Also if you can get some Chaetomorpha put it in sump or in a box in the tank. It will lower down a lot of nutrient or algae issue for you naturally.

Last edited:

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These people also sell good salts like Red sea and Instant ocean which are more trusted worldwide.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you want to reduce the bioload faster you can use vodka or vinegar dosing.

Also if you can get some Chaetomorpha put it in sump or in a box in the tank. It will lower down a lot of nutrient or algae issue for you naturally.
I have a skimmerless tank and running cheato in sump..

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can group buy some stuff from the other site and distribute among few people as the site has a lot of good stuffs. By the way how big is your tank?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These people also sell good salts like Red sea and Instant ocean which are more trusted worldwide.
Redsea is always available, but io once over, toget the same stock is very difficult. personally iv never liked red sea, i remember my 5kg salt had gone down the drain, the water remained white milky and never became clear for my new tank. I did contact redsea ppl, they said water needs to be below 24C. Had to dump all the water. then used a local salt, had very less residue. Then i started using blue treasure.. and 0 residue, and have been happy using it ever since.. many had same issues with redsea.. infact one of my friend got so fedup of redsea, that he actually trashed all the salt. However there are few using it, but they use a chiller during mixing, and have to add salt very slowly.. thats crazy i feel, when u spend a bomb for such big branded salts..

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Redsea is always available, but io once over, toget the same stock is very difficult. personally iv never liked red sea, i remember my 5kg salt had gone down the drain, the water remained white milky and never became clear for my new tank. I did contact redsea ppl, they said water needs to be below 24C. Had to dump all the water. then used a local salt, had very less residue. Then i started using blue treasure.. and 0 residue, and have been happy using it ever since.. many had same issues with redsea.. infact one of my friend got so fedup of redsea, that he actually trashed all the salt. However there are few using it, but they use a chiller during mixing, and have to add salt very slowly.. thats crazy i feel, when u spend a bomb for such big branded salts..
Hmmm thats something new for RED sea....may be old batches or expired stuffs....but IO is a gold standard. I think if you start a tank thread here you will get a lot of suggestions over your build and there will be a lot of DIY stuffs you can make by yourself. The salt you use mention a very wide kH range which is weird and also remember like randy said dont use buffers to increase pH or kH.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm thats something new for RED sea....may be old batches or expired stuffs....but IO is a gold standard. I think if you start a tank thread here you will get a lot of suggestions over your build and there will be a lot of DIY stuffs you can make by yourself. The salt you use mention a very wide kH range which is weird and also remember like randy said dont use buffers to increase pH or kH.
Im afraid to use kalk.. i use seachem reef builder and reed adv cal, coz it has strontium and mag.. both. My friend uses it on his sps lps tank and grows amazing corals. However he doses manually. Im planning on some lps, but waiting for all my parameters the issue to be solved. Today however my gsp is looking much better. waiting for my zoas to get better too.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im afraid to use kalk.. i use seachem reef builder and reed adv cal, coz it has strontium and mag.. both. My friend uses it on his sps lps tank and grows amazing corals. However he doses manually. Im planning on some lps, but waiting for all my parameters the issue to be solved. Today however my gsp is looking much better. waiting for my zoas to get better too.
There is nothing to be afraid of....Randy has a well devised balanced 2 part solution recipe and you can measure how much to put. You start with less and then move up. But the only issue we all are wondering about is how a reef with softies has such a high alk consumption rate. Reef builders also has potassium strontium magnesium and some more other salt. You dont need those salts in your system as you dont grow anything with such a high demand. Overtime they will be in excess in your system resulting in negative impact of coral growth.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing to be afraid of....Randy has a well devised balanced 2 part solution recipe and you can measure how much to put. You start with less and then move up. But the only issue we all are wondering about is how a reef with softies has such a high alk consumption rate. Reef builders also has potassium strontium magnesium and some more other salt. You dont need those salts in your system as you dont grow anything with such a high demand. Overtime they will be in excess in your system resulting in negative impact of coral growth.
Yes iv used randys 3part before successfully... this time my plan was softies only and maybe 1 or 2 lps.. coz of work.. so wanted a low maintanance self sustained easy system... so bought them.. had a 2year gap coz of my training which was away from home.

yajur

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont do anything faster as you dont have sps you can slowly lower your alk via weekly 10% water change itself.But keep eye on a coral if you find any issue bump the water change to 20%.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont do anything faster as you dont have sps you can slowly lower your alk via weekly 10% water change itself.But keep eye on a coral if you find any issue bump the water change to 20%.
Thanks yajur...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back