OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read about Alkanity and other parameteres but i dont understand the difference between caco3 and bicarbonates and alkanity and relation to ca and mg.
Would you help me with a article.
I would be thankful.

Sure. Here's a start and we can expand with other articles or discussion from there as needed. :)

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to switch to redsea coral pro. I've been using redsea standard salt up to this point. Measured fresh batch and it comes out at 7.8 dkh. I'll test the first batch of the coral pro. According to the packaging it should be roughly 11dkh.

What alk level do you want to maintain?

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially I was trying to hold at 9 and 425 respectively with mg at 1350. I wanted the new tank to be at 11dkh 450-500 calcium. I'd like the new tank to be Sps dominant with 20-30 frags in the mid and upper levels of the tank with some acans chalices hammers torches frogspawn plates in the lower region. Eventually I'd like to add 1-2 smaller clams and 1-3 nems. As I'm typing this I'm realizing it's probably more of a mixed tank than I realize.

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the reasons I'm switching. I've started dosing the alkalinity regularly without stressing about not dosing calc as often. You relieved a lot of stress and anxiety by answering my questions! Thank you so much!!!

On another note tested my RODI water and it's coming out with PO4 at .3

Changed all carbon filters sediment filters membrane and do last night. Hopefully this will help with my PO4 fueled hair algae issue.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's one of the reasons I'm switching. I've started dosing the alkalinity regularly without stressing about not dosing calc as often. You relieved a lot of stress and anxiety by answering my questions! Thank you so much!!!

On another note tested my RODI water and it's coming out with PO4 at .3

Changed all carbon filters sediment filters membrane and do last night. Hopefully this will help with my PO4 fueled hair algae issue.

The DI should catch that. What is the TDS?

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tads before it hit resin was 2. Resin needed to be changed about half of it had changed color. I hadn't changed carbon blocks in 6 months either. Also contributing to the issue is I lost my Midas Blenny 2 weeks ago and couldn't find him. Detritus had built up in sand bed too. What I find odd is nitrates are reading 0 with api test kit. I'm going to test everything tonight we'll see how everything comes out

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back