Alkalinity vs pH issue

dccanvas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all! I have a Biocube32 and I'm finding it very difficult to keep my alkalinity and pH stable. It seems like the alkalinity keeps rising while the pH keeps dropping. How can I do the other way around (raising pH while lowering alkalinity) and lock them in at a sweet spot? Thanks in advance.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the values for pH and alk, and how are you measuring them?
How have they changed, and over what amount of time?

Alk can only rise from dosing something with alk in it or from nitrate being converted to N2.

OP
OP
D

dccanvas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the values for pH and alk, and how are you measuring them?
How have they changed, and over what amount of time?

Alk can only rise from dosing something with alk in it or from nitrate being converted to N2.
Alkalinity went from 10 dkh to 12 and pH from 8.3 to 7.8 in just 1 month. Tested using salifert for alkalinity and API for pH. I don't dose anything but seachem Stability (2 days per week), Prime (1 day per week) and Pristine (2 days per week) as part of the weekly maintenance.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity went from 10 dkh to 12 and pH from 8.3 to 7.8 in just 1 month. Tested using salifert for alkalinity and API for pH. I don't dose anything but seachem Stability (2 days per week), Prime (1 day per week) and Pristine (2 days per week) as part of the weekly maintenance.
You don’t need to dose any of those things.. do you have the stock bio cube hood on? Any kinda skimmer or anything to help increase 02 levels? Not sure what your coral load is but I’d do a water change to drop the alk and just let the ph settle and not chase high numbers.. my tank runs 7.8-8.1 depending on the time of the year and growth is not a issue.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to dose any of those things..
I agree.
Some salt mixes will be in the 10-12 dKH range for alk. Reef Crystals, for example. In that case, water changes could be bringing it up.

You aren't topping off with saltwater or tapwater, correct?

OP
OP
D

dccanvas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need to dose any of those things.. do you have the stock bio cube hood on? Any kinda skimmer or anything to help increase 02 levels? Not sure what your coral load is but I’d do a water change to drop the alk and just let the ph settle and not chase high numbers.. my tank runs 7.8-8.1 depending on the time of the year and growth is not a issue.
It has the stock hood with fan. It has a protein skimmer too. I have macroalgae in the back-middle chamber to combat nitrate and phosphate and they're under control. I used to have a lot of corals but they all eventually died off due to the alkalinity swing in the last few months.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You dose Prime as routine maintenance?

OP
OP
D

dccanvas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree.

Some salt mixes will be in the 10-12 dKH range for alk. Reef Crystals, for example. In that case, water changes could be bringing it up.

You aren't topping off with saltwater or tapwater, correct?
I use a salt with alkalinity of 8 dKH when I do water change to lower the Alkalinity, then it starts going up again for an unknown reason. I top off with distilled water.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back