OP
B

BCrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

A couple standing out things for me. That I need more info on.

1) you treated your tank with what?

2) you took everything out and recycled your tank again. If this means you removed all your rocks and stuff, it could very well mean that a lot of bacteria were removed and your tank started to be cycled again.

3) you do not have a test kit. I’d get one so you can check your parameters daily. One good test today does not mean it will be good tomorrow.

4) lionfish will make a dinner out of a lot of your fish. Best to leave him out of the mix for the future.

5) do you still have the snails in your tank? Curious if there was a big die off when you treated the tank?

In my opinion this is all related to new tank syndrome. Ie. you were not cycled yet and added a ton of stock and placed aggressive and predatory fish in with reef fish that stressed and caused them a weakened immune system that coupled with likely ammonia spikes did them in.

My two cents. Water parameters and answers to the above questions will help.
I treated my tank with something called nox-ich and I under treated the tank so I wouldn't over do it.
I did take the rock out and redid the work over a few day span. Im not sure if the rock really had any bacteria it was bought dry originally.
At the moment the one I have I believe is old.
Alright seems pretty fair he was pretty cool and it was the only saltwater tank I had going.
I do still have snails and most of them are just hiding in the sand until I feed the tank or turn the lights off.

The two small fish I did put into the tank. I am noticing that they now have bitten fins from the two days they have been in the tank. It starting to push me towards the damsel fish being aggressive and possibly something with my water until i check it.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated my tank with something called nox-ich and I under treated the tank so I wouldn't over do it.
I did take the rock out and redid the work over a few day span. Im not sure if the rock really had any bacteria it was bought dry originally.
At the moment the one I have I believe is old.
Alright seems pretty fair he was pretty cool and it was the only saltwater tank I had going.
I do still have snails and most of them are just hiding in the sand until I feed the tank or turn the lights off.

The two small fish I did put into the tank. I am noticing that they now have bitten fins from the two days they have been in the tank. It starting to push me towards the damsel fish being aggressive and possibly something with my water until i check it.
Yeah there probably wasn’t much bacteria on the rock and taking them out for a few days would have killed anything on them so you basically started your cycle again when you put them back in. The porous rock we use in these aquariums are critical bacteria factories for the nitrogen cycle. I definitely think your tank is too new. The surviving fish are less susceptible to bad water parameters but could still perish potentially .

You should be checking your water and do some water changes to lower any high levels.

You should see ammonia and nitrite at zero and nitrates elevated before adding more fish. Then add one fish at a time until you are certain your tank is fully cycled.

Also Nox ich is not reef safe for invertebrates so I’d run carbon and do a major water change to get it out. I think I read you had an anemone and would guess it could be affected too.

You should never dose the display tank. It can do a lot of harm to so many things.

OP
OP
B

BCrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright ill eventually get back to you i don't believe the tank fully recycled and its not new in any means all the fish inside of the tank are doing fine. They are all swimming and eating, If the tank did recycle or was to new wouldn't the anemones be the first to die off?

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright ill eventually get back to you i don't believe the tank fully recycled and its not new in any means all the fish inside of the tank are doing fine. They are all swimming and eating, If the tank did recycle or was to new wouldn't the anemones be the first to die off?
Not necessarily. My anemones are almost indestructible so while some are very sensitive others are not so much. They are also less affected by spikes in parameters than fish are.

Your tank is a 3 months old. Which is still new. Especially with the things that have gone on. The fact you don’t have testing equipment also lends me to believe it’s a water quality issue. How can we rule it out at least?

Dumping the snails in nearly 200, even in that water volume, if even 30% died and the tank could not handle the bioload, then it could cause a fatal ammonia spike.

Again, regular testing is needed.

If it is a parasite I would expect all your fish would have succumbed or show signs by now.

Let us know your water conditions. And get a simple test kit on Amazon so you can get some daily readings to start out.

If it is a parasite then all you can do is remove the fish, put them in quarantine, and run copper in the quarantine while the tank sits fallow for two months.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back