Amazon Spears Gate Valve?

Trizz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anybody know if these PVC Gate Valve, Buna-N O-Rin (1" Slip x Slip (Schedule 80)) sold on Amazon are any different from the ones BRS sells? This is the third time I'm re-plumbing this line on my Red Sea 250 so I wanna save a few bucks is possible. The "Buna-N O-Rin" part is making me wary.
their good, I use them on some stuff. but i would use true union for the ease of pulling apart unscrewing the ends if you have to change something later.
these are what i use

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
their good, I use them on some stuff. but i would use true union for the ease of pulling apart unscrewing the ends if you have to change something later.
these are what i use
I've used true unions in the past in other areas, but they don't offer enough control for Red Sea drain lines. So I always use a union right before my gate valve, for ease of removal.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone that stumbles across this post in the future...mine from Amazon arrived yesterday. Yes, the valves are the same. However, they are not built the same. I don't understand why, but the one from Amazon is slightly larger in terms of it's profile. It has a larger valve area. So if you need something as low profile as possible (for space saving reasons), go with the one from BRS.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On ball valves you should go a size bigger and reduce down if you want the true flow of what size your getting. Gate valves are true to their size internally

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On ball valves you should go a size bigger and reduce down if you want the true flow of what size your getting. Gate valves are true to their size internally
Size isn’t the issue. My system already has a 1” on it that works fine. I’m just doing so re-plumbing. The issue was the BODY was bigger than the one I already have.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you like that gate valve @DocRose? Having trouble paying $88 for a gate valve…
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. We had a mass power outage around here for the past 48 hours. I ended up sending it back because it was too big for the space in which I wanted to place it. Other than the size, it looked exactly like the Spears brand from BRS.

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the $6 difference I would go with a spears. I know the other didn’t work out, but there is a difference in the "feel" of the valve for me, esp after running it for 6 months.
The price difference was larger back when I made the OP. About a $15 difference back then. But yeah I ended up with Spears anyway.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back