Amphipod Id?

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird little critter, I have a few around the tank. I always find them doing strange stuff, like hiding in feather worm tubes.
(Hope you don't mind if I give you a tag! @ISpeakForTheSeas )

IMG20240428181506.jpg IMG20240428181127.jpg

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a little, but it's also just post water change and a few things were moved so I'm not too sure!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one's neat! Any chance you could get it in a little container of tank water for some more pics (preferably under white light and with a black background)?

My first thought would be an Ischyrocerid amphipod such as a Jassa or Parajassa species, but more pics would be helpful.

Straight-on pics from the top, the side (showing the legs/claws), and the bottom (with particular focus on the head and tail) would be the most useful.

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one's neat! Any chance you could get it in a little container of tank water for some more pics (preferably under white light and with a black background)?

My first thought would be an Ischyrocerid amphipod such as a Jassa or Parajassa species, but more pics would be helpful.

Straight-on pics from the top, the side (showing the legs/claws), and the bottom (with particular focus on the head and tail) would be the most useful.
I tried to grab it but it outsmarted me! For such a small creature it had a strong grip on the rock when I was trying to grab it. The moment I had my tweezers and pipette away, it dove into a crack in my rock work I'll be keeping a look out for it!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back