Anemone experts please help!

ReefSarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone has slowly been declining over the period of a few months. This isn’t my first nem, the other news I’ve had I have always shot food onto their tentacles and it’s never been a problem. They’ve always been healthy, but this one has slowly been starving and I can’t figure out why. It’s gotten to the point of receding under a rock and I figured it would come out but it’s been a while and I finally manually removed it. When I pulled it out I see that it’s consumed it’s tentacles and I honestly thought it was dead. I put it in a small glass container with a sea shell and it attached to it... so I know it’s still alive it just looks like hell. I tried to get a small piece of shrimp directly into its mouth and not sure how successful that was. I’ve heard that phyto would be good for it as well. Here’s some pics of before and after.... and help would be appreciated!

67F6DEC7-BC89-4AF4-BB9F-C7B279A4E7FD.jpeg 2B0E94F0-1345-4633-B987-324B8A540C18.jpeg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not try to feed at this time. Food that can't be digested will just rot inside.
Current parameters and lighting??

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not need to feed it directly. You really have given us almost nothing to go on to help you. As much info about your tank as possible would help diagnose the problem. The rock looks new in the one pick. Was the tank set up with dry rock? How long ago was it set up?

OP
OP
ReefSarg

ReefSarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should not need to feed it directly. You really have given us almost nothing to go on to help you. As much info about your tank as possible would help diagnose the problem. The rock looks new in the one pick. Was the tank set up with dry rock? How long ago was it set up?

Tank params are
Nitrates- 20-25 ppm
Phosphates- 0.03
Calcium- 440
Alkalinity- 10 dkh
Magnesium- 1320 ppm

my system has been up over a year.The first pic with a healthy nem my tank was about 5 or 6 months old.

OP
OP
ReefSarg

ReefSarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not try to feed at this time. Food that can't be digested will just rot inside.
Current parameters and lighting??

Nitrates- 20-25 ppm
Phosphates- 0.03
Calcium- 440
Alkalinity- 10 dkh
Magnesium- 1320 ppm

it’s under a kessil a 360x that I run at about 60%, and a Chinese black box.

OP
OP
ReefSarg

ReefSarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you doing 10% weekly water changes?

I have some sps pieces that need some nitrates so I like to keep my nitrates between 15-25 ppm, everything looks it’s bestright about there. So I do a 30% water change about once a month, maybe 2 months just depending on what my parameters are at

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look fine. ALK is a bit high, but should not be a problem if it has been stable at 10. BTAs love nitrates so they are not the issue. Check all electrical components and magnets in the tank. Is it possible you have chlorimine in your top off water? Water supplies do change for a variety of reasons.
What size is your tank? How many hours a day are you lighting it? Anemones seam to like more blue light that white.

OP
OP
ReefSarg

ReefSarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look fine. ALK is a bit high, but should not be a problem if it has been stable at 10. BTAs love nitrates so they are not the issue. Check all electrical components and magnets in the tank. Is it possible you have chlorimine in your top off water? Water supplies do change for a variety of reasons.
What size is your tank? How many hours a day are you lighting it? Anemones seam to like more blue light that white.

As far as I know I don’t have any stray voltage anywhere.... definitely worth checking. I use an RODI unit for my water. I light a mixture of blue and white for about 8 hours a day at about 60% intensity and then a couple of hours at night time just straight blues at 60% intensity. I have a 50g AIO acrylic tank.

OP
OP
ReefSarg

ReefSarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

curious why you say to not feed it? Do you think just the light will bring it back? If it’s bleached and doesn’t have any zooxanthele then how would it get nutrients from the light alone?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't eat in that condition so the food won't help. I can't tell from here what is wrong with it but if it has been like that for a week or so, I doubt it will revive.

OP
OP
ReefSarg

ReefSarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't eat in that condition so the food won't help. I can't tell from here what is wrong with it but if it has been like that for a week or so, I doubt it will revive.

yeah, I just don’t wanna flush the thing bc I know it’s still alive, and if I can revive the thing that’d be a great experience. I got it in low light now so I guess all I can do is hope that it retains some zooxanthele and maybe it will get better? Just not sure what to do.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an anemone.

OP
OP
ReefSarg

ReefSarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the only coral in your tank not doing well?
Great question, I only have a few pieces in my tank. All sps, all showing good growth. I did have a seriatopora that started to RTN and still not sure why but I ended up losing it, everything else is great

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a shell the nem is attached too.

Parameters arent bad and lighting sounds fine. Could be bacterial might need to ciprofloxacin.. or you can ride it out and hope it recovers.

OP
OP
ReefSarg

ReefSarg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a shell the nem is attached too.

Parameters arent bad and lighting sounds fine. Could be bacterial might need to ciprofloxacin.. or you can ride it out and hope it recovers.
Does the Cipro have an affect on the rest of my coral?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back