Anemone

Reef_Boy-88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i know im gonna sound like a horrible reef keeper and I know I messed up and I just need help. I’m new to reef keeping and i recently got 2 anemones from a guy, and he ended up giving me the whole rock that had 2 men’s on it… I had it in my tank for a couple of weeks then i noticed it has a lot of aptasia and pests on it.. I don’t really want those kinds of things in my newly set up reef tank, so today i decided to take the nems off of the rock. I got one of them off and got it in its new spot with no trouble at all. When I tried to get the second one, I was being very patient and trying a lot of different things, and I used a glove and some tweezers to try to get it to come off a little easier. I was doing good and got the foot off a little bit but then the tweezers slipped a little bit and i think it went through the nem..? couldn’t really tell but there was a white goo with red circles in it. I knew this couldn’t be good so i just set the rock down and dosed with some melafix to try to help. I should have not done that and I feel really stupid and sorry for the nem but i really need help to try to save it. please

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok i know im gonna sound like a horrible reef keeper and I know I messed up and I just need help. I’m new to reef keeping and i recently got 2 anemones from a guy, and he ended up giving me the whole rock that had 2 men’s on it… I had it in my tank for a couple of weeks then i noticed it has a lot of aptasia and pests on it.. I don’t really want those kinds of things in my newly set up reef tank, so today i decided to take the nems off of the rock. I got one of them off and got it in its new spot with no trouble at all. When I tried to get the second one, I was being very patient and trying a lot of different things, and I used a glove and some tweezers to try to get it to come off a little easier. I was doing good and got the foot off a little bit but then the tweezers slipped a little bit and i think it went through the nem..? couldn’t really tell but there was a white goo with red circles in it. I knew this couldn’t be good so i just set the rock down and dosed with some melafix to try to help. I should have not done that and I feel really stupid and sorry for the nem but i really need help to try to save it. please
The nem itself may heal however a torn foot may be an issue. The best method ice on the anemone which will cause its foot to release. At this point you can observe healing and not disintegrating. Running hi grade carbon will address any impurities released by the anemone but observe frequently for sign of falling apart . You will see a stringy substance, disintegration and cloudiness/haze to the water.
I doubt cipro will help although I despise its use.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back