Anemones... Who has them and what can you say about them?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been keeping hosting anemones for about 20 years now.

Over the years I have kept;
H. crispa
H. malu
E. quadricolor
S. haddoni
M. doreensis.

I currently have an M. doreensis, 2 E. quadricolors, and 2 S. haddonis. Of the ones I currently have, one of the S. haddonis has been in my care for about 6.5 years now. The longest was 12 years, lost it to an infection (( before the treatment was known )).

---Obviously, starting with a healthy one is the key, a lot of the ones that you will see at an LFS aren't actually all that healthy.

---Understanding that there are different care requirements for each plays a huge role in the success of keeping one.

---Being a seasoned tank (( reef )) keeper helps --- the ability to tell that something is amiss before it becomes a problem cannot be understated.

---Knowing what species you want before hand, so that you can see if your tank is suitable. ie, an S. haddoni or M. doreensis would be a poor choice for a bare-bottom tank, since they are sandbed dwelling anemones.

---Knowing that this is a long term commitment; the anemone should be with you for decades.

---If given the proper conditions, anemones will not move. If they are moving, something is not right. Of course it isn't always easy to figure that out.

---Understand that E. quadricolors naturally split (( as do H. magnifica, but not as common )), and the "clones" will move and could sting your corals.

---S. haddonis are known fish eaters. IME, if you keep on for any length of time, it will happen.

---Can take months for them to go downhill, success is measured in years.

Worth all the headaches.

pinkandblue.jpg

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
send some pics. ps. after my post, i had a small pink tip move--- ended up on my goniopora. I moved him quite easily and he is settling back down. No harm to the coral.

Vanessa O.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trex,

Is there any hopes of having one in a 5-gallon nano tank?

Been keeping hosting anemones for about 20 years now.

Over the years I have kept;
H. crispa
H. malu
E. quadricolor
S. haddoni
M. doreensis.

I currently have an M. doreensis, 2 E. quadricolors, and 2 S. haddonis. Of the ones I currently have, one of the S. haddonis has been in my care for about 6.5 years now. The longest was 12 years, lost it to an infection (( before the treatment was known )).

---Obviously, starting with a healthy one is the key, a lot of the ones that you will see at an LFS aren't actually all that healthy.

---Understanding that there are different care requirements for each plays a huge role in the success of keeping one.

---Being a seasoned tank (( reef )) keeper helps --- the ability to tell that something is amiss before it becomes a problem cannot be understated.

---Knowing what species you want before hand, so that you can see if your tank is suitable. ie, an S. haddoni or M. doreensis would be a poor choice for a bare-bottom tank, since they are sandbed dwelling anemones.

---Knowing that this is a long term commitment; the anemone should be with you for decades.

---If given the proper conditions, anemones will not move. If they are moving, something is not right. Of course it isn't always easy to figure that out.

---Understand that E. quadricolors naturally split (( as do H. magnifica, but not as common )), and the "clones" will move and could sting your corals.

---S. haddonis are known fish eaters. IME, if you keep on for any length of time, it will happen.

---Can take months for them to go downhill, success is measured in years.

Worth all the headaches.

pinkandblue.jpg

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trex,

Is there any hopes of having one in a 5-gallon nano tank?

IMO/E, all the hosting anemones will get too big for an 5 gallon tank. That isn't even touching on the difficulties of getting parameters in check with such a small volume of water.

Vanessa O.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. sigh...... I kinda knew that but I guess I was just hoping I could keep some kind. I love them.

IMO/E, all the hosting anemones will get too big for an 5 gallon tank. That isn't even touching on the difficulties of getting parameters in check with such a small volume of water.

MikeyAl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. They will move. Some more than others. I have magnificent, 2 pink tips, and rock. Good lighting and water quality are key. I also have a jebao wavemaker which replicates motion of natural reef. That seems to keep them happy. Not that hard if you provide all those needs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419371739.314968.jpg

Mmsetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing I ever bought. Sunburst bta. Only thing I had to do was move it down deeper into my tank since the lighting was too intense. It looked melted at first. When I moved it down it bubbled and has been thriving. Took about a month to get my clown to let it host him. But that day was like a celebration when it happened. Coolest thing to watch. Good luck!

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1419564596.270341.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back