Angry Zoa

richserpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all

I have a small Zoa colony that recently stopped opening up. All my other Zoas are fat and happy. I thought someone (looking at you Lubbock Wrasse) was nipping at him but I’ve watched him and he doesn’t seem to be bothering it. My parameters are good (Mg is a bit low 1260) and the fish, Acans, other Zoas and mushroom are all doing well. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
C54BB81D-BDD7-4925-932A-6AFBB86EC0E9.jpeg
05902AA6-8E89-4F73-91EB-72ACCFD59420.jpeg

AtlantiCat

33% Salt, 67% Fresh, 100% Weird
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise the Magnesium. I struggled with some Zoas until I got my Magnesium around 1,350. Then they were suddenly happy. But this is highly dependent on the specific Zoa. Some were perfectly fine in the 1,200s. They don't use it, but they get upset when it's not there for some reason

Alternately, I've had some colonies take a few weeks to decide my tank is a good place to be and open fully.

OP
OP
R

richserpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise the Magnesium. I struggled with some Zoas until I got my Magnesium around 1,350. Then they were suddenly happy. But this is highly dependent on the specific Zoa. Some were perfectly fine in the 1,200s. They don't use it, but they get upset when it's not there for some reason

Alternately, I've had some colonies take a few weeks to decide my tank is a good place to be and open fully.
Thanks for the advice. I’ve been dosing ESV B Ionic liquid magnesium for a couple of days trying to slowly raise the Mg. Using 6oz per dose and monitoring. Total system water volume is 80 gals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back