Another attempt at H. erectus fry

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems you're getting the hang of it. I like pics. (hint)

Peka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last fry came Monday morning, but had half as many as the last batch (~75 compared to 168 captured last time). A good many stay on the bottom (~20), but most are up and eating. No hitchers yet. I'm using a 10 gallon with two sponge filters and an airline for more circulation.

Have one 16 day old baby... He/She (Sammy) seems to be doing well.

Make sure before you remove them from the display that they are having a chance to fill their swim bladders with air.

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That explains the frustration I was about to vent... Yesterday, none were up swimming around and today they all look pretty well done...

The batch where all of them were within 3" of the water surface is the only one so far like that (of 5). The other 4 have had maybe 10-15 actually swimming around and the others down in the sand/gravel. I had turned off the inlet to the tank and unplugged one of the powerheads in the tank (two low flow ph's in there) at around 5 in the morning the morning of Sammy's batch's birth. I was late, so they were all out and at the surface. I've been there to catch them as soon as they are birthed on the other 4, so I've not given them a chance... I'll replicate what I did with Sammy's batch. I had the kreisel with Sammy and crew in the parents tank and they seemed to do well until we moved them three days in. I set up a 10g with two sponge filters and an airline for the current batch, so temp is cooler and salinty is a little lower. Now I know the secret to my lack of success;). Live and learn- then by luvs, right...

OP
OP
gflat65

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took an ASM G5 skimmer body and cut it to a 9" length. Then cut about a 4" (straight length) arc off of the length for an opening at the top. then I cut a few windows out of the sides of it. The 4" cut piece was cut to lengths that covered the windows. The frames/pieces cut from the 4" cut piece had panty hose wrapped around it to privide a filter for water flow through (keeping most of the BBS and all of the BSH's in the kreisel). These frames with panty hose were then rubber banded around the kreisel and positioned over the windows cut in the body of the kreisel. This allowed for water flow. I then cut some acrylic pieces for the ends and siliconed in place. Holes were drilled in the acrylic at a point above the top of the kreisel. PVC was slide through the holes in the acrylic to mount the kreisel to the top of the parent seahorse tank. I then used an aqua lufter to move water from the overflow of the parents display to the kreisel (also in the parents display) to keep water exchange. An air pump was used to create the circular motion inside the kresiel. I'm sure that's clear as mud, huh;)?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 26 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 5.0%
Back