Anthias Harem

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g tank. Can I put 3 Fathead Anthias in there? I know it says they need 70g, but wasn't sure if that was for one or multiple.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65g tank. Can I put 3 Fathead Anthias in there? I know it says they need 70g, but wasn't sure if that was for one or multiple.
The minimum recommended tank size is always for one fish, not multiple (but in many cases it's big enough for multiples of the species).

Let's give you a bump and see what the community says on putting them in a 65 though.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The minimum recommended tank size is always for one fish, not multiple (but in many cases it's big enough for multiples of the species).

Let's give you a bump and see what the community says on putting them in a 65 though.
That’s kind of what I thought. Thanks for the bump.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll be honest I have 2 lyretails and a dispar in my 40 breeder, for a bit more than a year now. But, the tank is basically their's... 2 clowns stay in their corner, yellow watchman that stays by his cave and never moves, a clingfish that clings to the glass, and a tailspot and a hectors goby which do their own thing. The anthias are the only fish swimming around and using the space.

So yes I think it can work, but depends on your existing fish, and also need a lot of rockwork, the anthias like the rocks.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have one clown and a white tail tang. Two would be fine also. I want to pick up the following:
Clown
Midas Blenny
Fathead Anthias
Baby porcupine puffer

Attachments

• IMG_0623.jpeg
    IMG_0623.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll be honest I have 2 lyretails and a dispar in my 40 breeder, for a bit more than a year now. But, the tank is basically their's... 2 clowns stay in their corner, yellow watchman that stays by his cave and never moves, a clingfish that clings to the glass, and a tailspot and a hectors goby which do their own thing. The anthias are the only fish swimming around and using the space.

So yes I think it can work, but depends on your existing fish, and also need a lot of rockwork, the anthias like the rocks.
Meant to reply to you. Please see my other response with a pic of my tank.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recommend the puffer.
I think your tank is too small, and puffers will wipe out your CUC, and possibly take nibs at other fish.

Also from what many people have told me, fatheads and blotched do better on there own.
I could be wrong.. i never had them, as the concept of being alone was no in my scape. I know you can mix them with other anthias tho.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recommend the puffer.
I think your tank is too small, and puffers will wipe out your CUC, and possibly take nibs at other fish.

Also from what many people have told me, fatheads and blotched do better on there own.
I could be wrong.. i never had them, as the concept of being alone was no in my scape. I know you can mix them with other anthias tho.
I think I’m just going to go with one. The puffer would be a baby and I would rehome or upgrade. That one is for my wife. I wouldn’t be back in the hobby unless I said yes. I had a baby before my tank got ich and luckily he was as a model citizen. The baby tusk on the other hand ate everything. Been trying to talk her out of it, but I’m not winning yet.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id becareful with anthias then.

I remember puffers liking to take nibs at everything.
They are adorable, and quite possibly the closest thing to a dog you can get for a fish.
But they are mean little fishes that wont lose to triggers in bites.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back