Anthias mouth stays open and breathing quickly

bygster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyre tail Anthias mouth stays open and he's breathing rapidly. This has been going on for a few days but I've noticed flare ups before, he would open his mouth wide for extended periods of time and let the cleaner shrimp into his mouth like a doctor would at a check up. Thought it was cute at first but now he seems to be struggling. His swimming pattern changed he's been lethargic. He tried to eat but the food falls out of his mouth most of the time. 2 months ago he had a bulge on the side of his mouth that went away after a day. No other fish has any disease or signs of infection. All fish and inverts went through extensive quarantine. Never any ich or velvet in the tank.

OP
OP
B

bygster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lyre tail Anthias mouth stays open and he's breathing rapidly. This has been going on for a few days but I've noticed flare ups before, he would open his mouth wide for extended periods of time and let the cleaner shrimp into his mouth like a doctor would at a check up. Thought it was cute at first but now he seems to be struggling. His swimming pattern changed he's been lethargic. He tried to eat but the food falls out of his mouth most of the time. 2 months ago he had a bulge on the side of his mouth that went away after a day. No other fish has any disease or signs of infection. All fish and inverts went through extensive quarantine. Never any ich or velvet in the tank.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231126-164513.png
    Screenshot_20231126-164513.png
    773.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20231126-164447.png
    Screenshot_20231126-164447.png
    907.1 KB · Views: 31

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the fish?

Serranids like this sometimes develop hyperextension of their maxillary bones, but they stick that way, and not are able to close their mouth at all. The open mouth does impair their breathing.

Or - the mouth could be gaping because the fish is breathing fast due to parasites. Posing for a cleaner shrimp is a symptom of flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
B

bygster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this fish for about 18 months, if you notice the gills look swollen as well. Any suggestions on next steps? He's definitely not him self and not swimming as fast as he normally would. Additionally when he's eating he can't keep the food down. I'm worried he will soon parish if I don't take some steps.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this fish for about 18 months, if you notice the gills look swollen as well. Any suggestions on next steps? He's definitely not him self and not swimming as fast as he normally would. Additionally when he's eating he can't keep the food down. I'm worried he will soon parish if I don't take some steps.

No other fish in the tank are showing symptoms? Rapid breathing, flashing/scratching?

It *might* be gill flukes, but treating the whole tank on the outside chance that is the issue doesn't seem a good choice to me.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back