any one have any success with Morish idols?

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyone here that has some success with keeping Morishidols? By success I mean atleast 2 years and going strong in you tank. I have a 300 gallon and I would love to put one in there but not until I'm completely confident about it. I have a friend that travels alot and he told me about a guy who owns a fish store somewhere in Washington that has been able to keep them with great success. He also sells them to his customers, and supposebly they have had good luck with them. Any ways I'm not trying to start any arguments about the fish just wondering if any one has had any luck. Thanks.

paintballer768

Master of Puppets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moorish Idols, IMO, are a fish better left to the sea. They eat coralline algae, which usually makes them die within a month or two of being collected. The ones that will accept mysis/nori sheets can be kept for a while but usually result in not getting the current vitamins and such and will die later on. But dont get me wrong, some people can keep them for a very long time with success but just know this is a very small percentage.

If you want to buy one, at least make sure its accepting brine/mysis/lettuce/nori (one of those) before you spend the money.

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, Like most people I have always admired them but have felt the same way about putting them into a fish tank until my friend told me about the guy in Washington. He says that he sells them only after they have been eating mysis and brine. If I bought one it would probably be from him. I was just curious if there were any other people who had first hand experience with them. Like I said I have never personally met the guy so who knows if what he is saying is true. My friend says that he has personally seen the fish in his tank eat though. Thanks for you opinion though

reefsandrotts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mike from nyaquatic sells them but only once they are feeding,a gut on my local reef site has one with videos of the idol just ripping the heck out of nori sheets and anything else he put in there.I will try to find the video and post it up.

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would be cool. i am trying to find out the name of the store in Washington to see if anyone else has heard of it.

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS by me has one and it's been there for a few months now....always fat and healthy looking.

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a good thread from a guy on swf whose had succes keepem. Has some good info as well on them

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=310643&highlight=Eels

this is a thread about an eel. I was more looking for people with experience keeping morish idols. I did like the thread though. I have a honeycomb eel that is the same way. I have actually seen him come out of his hole to let the cleaner shrimp clean him. He loves sand eels and squid, not a big fan of shrimp.

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think pablo tepoot was able to sustain a healthy idol on NewLifeSpectrum.....the whole reason his food is successful was due to the fact that he was able to keep a healthy sw tank full of diet specific species on NLS only.

labman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i read a great artical on this it fallowed several morish idols whick btw are not reef safe understand that 1st. I also thing you can decide by reading if you want to try one!

Morish Idol article
I picked up tropical fish magazine Jan issue there is a very interesting article on idol's the other with 30 years experience tried to keep 6 of them and also tracked 382 that were sold the results are shocking. something to think about before deciding to add one to your tank author recommends minimum 200 gallon tank prefers 400 to 600 . if you are thinking about one I recommend finding the article found my copy at petsmart and if you wanted to barrow mine I would be willing to loan it out. author lost hers where the * is
frown.gif

time survived less then a week 280
1-2 weeks 38
2 weeks to a month 15
1-2 months 6
2-6 months 5 *
1 year 12
1 to 2 years 7 **
2-5 years 19

OP
OP
rng_pw

rng_pw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats, crazy. Yeah I have always known that it would be next to impossible to keep one. I guess when I heard that there was a guy that was able to get them to eat and has had some success it just raised my hopes. I might have to just go with some Heniochus or something. Thanks for all of the help.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wonder how many people just baught it jsut bc it was cool looking and not really knowing anything about it.

labman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say most are impulse buy's I would say the better lfs's would not carry them and when a customer comes in that they feel is right for one and at least tries to understand there needs then acquires one for them. not saying never get one but probably only 5% of the people should try if that much. so why have a fish that tempts them and will most likely die

robharold

Farmer wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of a couple folks here that have kept them for a good while now. The biggest hurdle is getting them to eat a varied diet or even eat at all. They used fresh clams on the half shell to get them started I think.

I also was told that they do not get used to other aggressive tankmates very quickly so they need some time to settle in before adding to a display.

If you do get one, even if eating at the lfs, it is going to be a difficult to keep specimen.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i hear that. I think people in this hobby when it comes to fish like these just go by looks and are like o well i should be able to keep him alive. I feel people dont research them enough, i like the idea that hes at least trying to find out info about htem before he buysthem! I dont care what kind of fish it is i will always do some research on them before i put them in my tank or spend the money on them.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back