Any Plans to Test Salt?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed up a fresh batch (30 gallons) of Tropic Marin Pro from a brand new bucket this weekend and sent in a sample to Triton today for testing, so will be interested in seeing what the test comes back with. I tested the basics before sending the samples and here are the results. Salinity - 35 pt (after calibrating), Temp 77, Ak- 7.728 (hanna checker), Calcium 440 - (API), Magnesium - 1350 (Red sea coral pro test kit). Triton starts their water analysis again on the 19th after being closed for a month so the sample should get there just in time. I will gladly post the results as soon as they are available. I was however happy to see that the big 3 (AK, CA, MG) tested out very close to NSW on my test and where triton's base line is for each and will be excited to see all the results, so if I need to use a salt for WCs in the future it will be close on the main params that I am looking for as I am following the Triton dosing method. Stay tuned.

Tanks Greg

I'm using TMP now, I also used Pure (very expensive).

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Gene

gregoryleonard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks Greg

I'm using TMP now, I also used Pure (very expensive).

Looking forward to seeing the results.

Gene
OK,
Test results are back on the fresh batch of Tropic Marin Pro I sent in.
I think the overall results are encouraging an d mostly in-line with NSW values
and the 2 in home test kits I used before sending off the sample are very close to the Triton lab tests
CA with an API test kit was 440 vs. 460.8 with Triton
Mg with Red Sea Pro was 1350 vs 1354 with Triton
I do not know how to figure out the Salinity, but my calibrated unit was 35 pt.
Also, DKh was 7.72 with Hanna checker.
Also, good to see that there was no P or Po4 in the newly mixed salt batch.
My opinion is that this salt is a good salt to use if needing to perform any WCs while following the Triton method and dosing their 4 part ElementZ
I would be interested in everyone's thoughts/input as well.
img-150121203307-0001.jpg

img-150121203307-0002.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes thank you! I have been using it since they recommend it and have been curious what the values are!

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't happy that it raised my potassium as much as it did. I'm not going to use it anymore and have had to do water changes with the redsea blue bucket to get things back to where I wanted them. I done more water changes in the last couple months than in the last year :) sort of the opposite of what I what's thinking when I started. I hope to have a new sample sent in in the next week or so. Should be interesting after the new water changes and only running triton base elements for a few weeks.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't happy that it raised my potassium as much as it did. I'm not going to use it anymore and have had to do water changes with the redsea blue bucket to get things back to where I wanted them. I done more water changes in the last couple months than in the last year :) sort of the opposite of what I what's thinking when I started. I hope to have a new sample sent in in the next week or so. Should be interesting after the new water changes and only running triton base elements for a few weeks.

Me to Keith. I've been doing a to many water changes to get the parameters right.
:squigglemouth:

Gene

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool to see the posted results. Thanks for sharing. The pure salt is expensive and again, for those that aren't familiar with it, it is only to be used to dilute contaminations in the aquarium since it lacks trace elements. As you can see in the TMP results, some of the elements are either lacking or overly concentrated. Since we don't know for certain that the freshwater used to mix the salt was 100% free of elements such as iron and manganese, we can't say with certainty that these elements were this concentrated in the salt mix. Over all it is a good salt since the macros were very much on point. Hopefully, once you guys get things dialed in, you can slow down or even stop with the water changes and maintain the water chemistry you worked so hard to get right. Also, focus on where certain contaminants are being introduced from like certain foods, tap water used in the rinsing of equipment and food and in the mixing of salt batches, etc. We have seen cases of salt accumulation around the metal parts of lights which can lead to contamination as well.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't get too concerned based off the levels reported with tmp. There will be some variation batch to batch and bucket to bucket. Even more if you are not making it all at once - no point to fret over levels that might not be exactly what you want, there will always be variation. What I like is nothing is crazy high, like beyond limit of detection. Sure small amounts will vary, but when you see greatly elevated amounts that more indicates to me a problem with the manufacturer's supplier. I don't see that here and am perfectly happy with those numbers, but I don't hold stock in my bucket of tmp having the exact same results, but a general ballpark.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have the results of the IO Test?

Was Reef Crystals Done?

I would love to know the Difference between the two.

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on that statement. It really comes down to what your definition of "greatly elevated" is. In the case of the Greg's results, iron is 24 times higher than we would like and manganese is approx 40 times higher. You are right that Greg may not have mixed the entire batch and of course there is variations from batch to batch- both good points. I think everyone would be happy when we have a salt that is extremely consistent. In the meantime, this salt is probably as good as it gets;) And yes, no need to fret too much over these trace elements.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really do think this a great thing to have in hobby, giving consumers the option to test one of the most important items most people use, the salt! I was say to have confidence once we really get down consistency the salt mixes will need to produce "clean" tests across multiple batches. Greatly elevated to me are results so high they can't be accurately quantified - Like 7,000ug/l of lithium! I use GFO so iron isn't a huge concern, but others may think any amount above NSW is too much, or perhaps they have greater tolerance for impurities in a cheap salt but not a premium one...

Now what I would like to see tested are the other additives we put in our tanks. Such as 2 part. Many of us dump hundreds of ml per day, and contamination in these just keep building up. Granted it's not saltwater like they have optimized this test for, but to me I think the results would be just as, if not more important than the salt test results.

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates with new triton test on the salts? I was looking for redsea pro or any other salts test.

I hate to recommend Reef central but there is an active thread on there with many salt results posted. Maybe some people will post more results here. I will say and have said this already that you shouldn't pay too much attention to one batch of test results on a salt. There is no guarantee that the results are super accurate do to the unknowns from proper mixing of salt with RO water. Many people do not have perfect ro/do water to start with and they also may not be mixing the entire content of a salt bucket. Both of these factors will have a great impact on the results. Just use the results for general knowledge purposes.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back