Anyone culturing or collecting sea grasses?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while I was at one of my LFS, I saw their Carribean display has some Star grass in it. When I asked about it, they said it’s illegal to collect and they got theirs from some science lab in Florida. I think it would create a really neat sand cover and as I researched also paddle grass looks cool too.

So with all that said, I can’t find anything saying sea grass is illegal however it seems the only vendor that sells it is FloridaPets. I have reached out to them to see if they will be getting any in stock but was curious if anyone cultures or collects it and what their keys are to success.

Here’s the specific ones I’m looking for:

Star Grass/Halophila engelmannii
Paddle Grass/Halophila decipiens

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this website. Informative and they sell many types of macro algae and sea grasses.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So while I was at one of my LFS, I saw their Carribean display has some Star grass in it. When I asked about it, they said it’s illegal to collect and they got theirs from some science lab in Florida. I think it would create a really neat sand cover and as I researched also paddle grass looks cool too.

So with all that said, I can’t find anything saying sea grass is illegal however it seems the only vendor that sells it is FloridaPets. I have reached out to them to see if they will be getting any in stock but was curious if anyone cultures or collects it and what their keys are to success.

I brought some back from Florida and did not last long. I am going to see if im allowed to bring some back from Hawaii and give that a shot. I will be limited as my tanks will make salad out of most typical seaweed

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find anything saying sea grass is illegal however it seems the only vendor that sells it is FloridaPets.
My understanding is it is illegal to collect in Texas, but not other places (unless it’s a federally protected species of sea grass, which a few are). I haven’t looked into harvesting regulations in depth, but that’s my understanding.

For vendors that sells sea grasses:
Those seem to be the main two sources of seagrass these days. I do not have experience with Aquaticus Plants (@SeaGrass Cullen), though its seems to have a good reputation, and Tropical Fish Plus (@TFP2021) offers manatee grass (Syringodium filiforme) for a great price (20+ individual plants for $8), though the macroalgae I received from them did contain hitchhikers.

Sources that currently have/recently stocked the following seagrasses (in the states):

Turtle grass (Thalassia testudinum):
- Aquaticus Plants
- FloridaPets
- Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratory
- Addictive Reef Keeping

- Gulf Coast Ecosystems once sold turtle grass (Thalassia testudinum)

Manatee grass (Syringodium filiforme):
- Aquaticus Plants
- Aquaculture Nursery Farms
- Addictive Reef Keeping

Shoal grass (Halodule wrightii)
- Aquaticus Plants

Eelgrass (Zostera marina) (coldwater seagrass):
- FloridaPets
- Gulf of Maine

Halophila
- Ask Aquaticus Plants for availability

Outside the U.S.:

Sickle seagrass (Thalassia hemprichii)
- Charm (occasionally)

Information:
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookseagrass.htm
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/sl/index.php
And here’s a link to the only person I’ve seen on the forum keeping paddle grass:

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies! I didn’t get any of that in my search. I checked most of the sites and all seem to be out of stock or don’t carry it (at least immediately visible, haven’t reached out to any besides FloridaPets.

CurtPGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I know the post is a little old but wondering how your adventure with sea grass went. I have purchased Star Grass and Manatee Grass from Aquatic Life. And my other grasses from Addictive Reefkeeping. Hope this experiment goes well...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t obtained any yet. Most places I’ve reached out to require either a scientific or educational basis or have said collection is no longer allowed in the areas these grasses grow.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t obtained any yet. Most places I’ve reached out to require either a scientific or educational basis or have said collection is no longer allowed in the areas these grasses grow.
Interesting - what places have you reached out to?

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only ones so far are GulfSpecimens.org (only educational or scientific), Florida Pets (no response) and live-plants.com (illegal to collect). I do see aquaticus appears to have some Star Grass in stock though. May have to check shipping. Currently funds are tight so I haven’t been looking honestly.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I know the post is a little old but wondering how your adventure with sea grass went. I have purchased Star Grass and Manatee Grass from Aquatic Life. And my other grasses from Addictive Reefkeeping. Hope this experiment goes well...

What are you doing for substrate, as far as depth and composition?

Planning to try a seagrass and mangrove 60g cube tank in my classroom at some point. Will likely have ~8” of substrate, and try to get some mud along with the grass. Have heard some things about bacteria in the mud being important for the seagrass to do well.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about others but my LFS has had theirs growing no problem. They use a white LED and have about 4 inches of substrate. They built a 3inch tall substrate holder on the bottom of the tank out of plexi glass and about an inch or two from the side glass. They then filled that with freshwater planted tank substrate and fill the surrounding area and on top with sand so you can’t even see that substrate. Hopefully that made sense.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is all FWC has on Marine algaes...
1000004241.png

Halophila johnsonii is listed as "federally threatened" according to Florida EPA but I cannot find anything about the other two prohibiting collection.

I also searched the US Fish and Wildlife site and Johnson's Seagrass is protected it does not list the other two as such.

Word of warning though, even if you can correctly identify and collect them yourself; that does not mean the best and brightest of FWC will be able to do the same - meaning you will get at least a fine and have it removed from your tank.

CurtPGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Planning to try a seagrass and mangrove 60g cube tank in my classroom at some point. Will likely have ~8” of substrate, and try to get some mud along with the grass. Have heard some things about bacteria in the mud being important for the seagrass to do well.
In mine I have used caribsea live sand to a depth of about 4 inches so far. Once I upgrade to the larger 55 I will go with 3 parts caribsea live sand to 1 part Tampa Bay

Eric, for mine currently, I have about 4 inches of Caribsea Live Sand for the bed. Once I move it over to the 55 gallon I plan on a 3:1 mix of Caribsea Live Sand and Addictive Reefkeeping's Live Mud to give me a 8 inch bed. Check out the article in reefkeeping called "Beyond the Refugium: Seagrass Aqaria" by Sarah Lardizabal. I also garnered some great info from a thread by Brandon McHenry here on R2R titled "Seagrass Aqarium at the Ocean Discovery Visitors Center." I will try and post the link for you.

CurtPGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about others but my LFS has had theirs growing no problem. They use a white LED and have about 4 inches of substrate. They built a 3inch tall substrate holder on the bottom of the tank out of plexi glass and about an inch or two from the side glass. They then filled that with freshwater planted tank substrate and fill the surrounding area and on top with sand so you can’t even see that substrate. Hopefully that made sense.

mochaclownlover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With an exception for scientific purposes, I expect that one will find it is illegal to collect any amount of sea grass nearly anywhere in the US if you look carefully.
I work for a company that does sea grass restoration and yes it is illegal to harvest all species without proper permits. I’m only able to keep it because I’m classified under research so everything I have still goes back to the company.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back