Anyone here a damsel lover?

SeeCrabRun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and wishing to add to their collection?

I've been keeping a damsel only tank and I've decided to start getting out of the hobby or downsizing to only a nano.

I'm just putting feelers out right now. I have a 3" neon velvet (they grow to 6") and she's my favorite but she needs to be kept in a big tank (for size and also aggression). I've had her almost exactly a year and she is a great personality.

Let me know if you might be interested and we can chat. It breaks my heart to do this but I have health problems and I just can't physically handle the work anymore.

None of my fish have ever been sick and I've tried very hard to keep a disease free tank.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you feel better soon. I personally despise damsels but surely someone wants it! :)

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get well soon!

I'm sure that in the depths of hell theirs a fiery ocean with sharks and damsels. :D

But i've seen people who like them so someone will take him.

OP
OP
SeeCrabRun

SeeCrabRun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly this is why I feel stuck. I LOVE damsels, I love aggressive creatures, and I love singular colors and black LOL
So the big, "ugly, mean" fish is my favorite and I don't think I'll find someone else to love her as much as I do, so I'm stuck killing myself over a big tank's maintenance for her :/

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a damsel only tank. Do you think it would get along with a large lemon peel damsel? That is the only fish in the tank at the moment.

OP
OP
SeeCrabRun

SeeCrabRun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the tank? That's the biggest sign. They are mostly aggressive because they are very territorial.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the tank? That's the biggest sign. They are mostly aggressive because they are very territorial.

In my experience, the more aggressive fish you have the better- two fish in a tank (with one established) is a recipe for disaster... No way to spread the aggression. Very targeted. It may be worth a try but you should be prepared to fish him out of there are issues.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a long time in this hobby and from the first day I went salt I had to have a Yellow Tail still as today a Yellow Tail is swing among my High priced fishies.
I got other Damsels in my frag tanks as they keep all corals clean if they come with something on it.

OP
OP
SeeCrabRun

SeeCrabRun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a video of the adult velvet at our children's museum that I've visited every time we've gone and is the reason why I got this fish. I thought at the time I'd be able to handle a big tank, but at the time I only had a 29g, and I regret ever upgrading.

And this is a video of them in the 29g, so older video. She's a little bigger now and obviously they are in a different tank.

OP
OP
SeeCrabRun

SeeCrabRun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah with the larger damsels they need like a 2' radius of their own territory to not fight constantly.

sprinklerdudes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had damsels for several years, Have not had much aggression problems, but they have plenty of places to hide, I have two now, and each has there own side of the tank, been that way for quite a while. a few years back I had 4 and they were always bullying each other, but the tank was wide open, and not many places to hide, They are very interesting fish, and often underestimated in my opinion. you just need to give them there space.

BR549

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oo

I've been keeping a damsel only tank and I've decided to start getting out of the hobby or downsizing to only a nano.

I'm just putting feelers out right now. I have a 3" neon velvet (they grow to 6") and she's my favorite but she needs to be kept in a big tank (for size and also aggression). I've had her almost exactly a year and she is a great personality.

Let me know if you might be interested and we can chat. It breaks my heart to do this but I have health problems and I just can't physically handle the work anymore.

None of my fish have ever been sick and I've tried very hard to keep a disease free tank.

pm sent

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back