Anyone know what head loss is for 5/8 ID?

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find out what the loss is per foot on gph for 5/8" innder diameter tubing. Anybody know or know of a chart?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm trying to find out what the loss is per foot on gph for 5/8" innder diameter tubing. Anybody know or know of a chart?
It would be helpful if you could describe which pump you're planning to use - and additionally, most pumps (if you go to the technical specifics - calculate the head loss at xx feet is often present as a graph. Assuming you're not using extremely high flow in an extremely narrow tubing, the limiting factor for head loss is the pump not the diameter of the tubing.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is different gph loss for different diameter tubing. Its an old maxi jet 1200 but I was pretty sure most gph loss is close to the same. By the foot or by 90 elbows etc. The pump does 295 gph at zero. I mayabout two feet of tubing on it between it and the UV Sterilzer. So I wanted to know how much that cuts down the GPH because the UV has a certain rating for flow.

What I was looking for was the estimated gph loss. I though it was like 50-75 gph per foot. 25 per 90 degree elbow. Amd more loss for vertical pipe that horizontal pipe. Does that sound right?

Last edited:

Sean_B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • 1 psi = 6.9 kPa = 0.069 bar
  • 1 ft (foot) = 0.3048 m
  • 1 gal (US)/min = 6.30888x10-5 m3/s = 0.227 m3/h

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back