Anyone using the Red sea reef pro test kit?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked one of these up and tested it against my Hannah alk test and api calc test seems on point on those two tests. I have both api master kits I dont get the hate they seem to have garnered since I was last in the hobby. As everything I have been able to compare them to seems on point. Thats not the point of my post though. I dont have another brand of mag test which is the reason along with calc for getting this kit. After my issues with a bad batch of salt or whatever is going on ( no real answer) I really dont want to take it for granted stuff is right. Anyone got input on these test kits?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the red sea pro for calcium mainly. Maybe dont bother with magnesium.

OP
OP
twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the red sea pro for calcium mainly. Maybe dont bother with magnesium.
Yeah I know. I have read that. Like I said I wanted at least an idea of what was going on. I have had some weirdness lets say. I had a bad box of salt so I really wanted to test alk, calc and mag just to see. I dont have another mag test and based on that thread I have decided not to spend the money on a hannah that only tests that parameter. I rather spend less on a hopefully decent titration kit and "up" my game on calc too. But like I said above the api calc and the redsea are pretty spot on to each other. So my real question I guess is how reliable in the grand scheme is the red sea kit? I mean if most tests are 20-50ppm off or whatever on mag thats ok at least I have a good idea of where I am at.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know. I have read that. Like I said I wanted at least an idea of what was going on. I have had some weirdness lets say. I had a bad box of salt so I really wanted to test alk, calc and mag just to see. I dont have another mag test and based on that thread I have decided not to spend the money on a hannah that only tests that parameter. I rather spend less on a hopefully decent titration kit and "up" my game on calc too. But like I said above the api calc and the redsea are pretty spot on to each other. So my real question I guess is how reliable in the grand scheme is the red sea kit? I mean if most tests are 20-50ppm off or whatever on mag thats ok at least I have a good idea of where I am at.
I bought the aquaforest mag test for $20, which confirmed the red sea pro.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Which do you like better? I really like the red sea tester. I just can't get the stuff to fit back in the box the same lol.
Red sea has easier titration device, but aquaforest tested most repeatable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back