APEXEL CONTROLLER SYSTEM Is it worth it?

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching the Apex EL controller, I am a person that has home automation of lights, water and camera along with a nice home security system.
when I compare the cost for what you get with other home automation system I can’t decide if it is worth the cost.
1. There seems to be problems with the power blocks.
2. Customer service doesn’t seem that great.
3. The Apex website doesn’t do much for answering technical questions.
4. It appears to be a closed system and can’t communicate with other systems.
5. I have found no examples of monitoring and controlling more than one tank.

i would like feed back and other option out there even a PLC controller if anyone is using one.

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have a house full of IoT.

And I have an Apex classic Jr. and an ApexEL.

By far the only things in the house that never had issues are the apexes. All the other IoT at one point or another "glitched"

True Apex is a closed system. It runs its own web server so you dont need internet to access it. ApexFusion is a nice perk.

The true reason for me to get the apex was the temp control. I trust the Apex temp probe far more than any other thermostat.

You can also do ReefPi.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you can control more than one tank with it easil. As longer as you don’t exceed the number of “connection” ( if I remember correctly is 255 and don’t quote me) you can have as many tanks as you want on it.

you can also can control other things as well, control light too

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Worth" is a very subjective term. But in my opinion the Apex is worth it to me in terms of capabilities, ease of use, flexibility, expandability, and peace of mind.

To address your specific questions:

1. There seems to be problems with the power blocks. -- I have never had any problems with my EB832 or EB4. The only power problem I've had is with the power brick for my COR20 pump which Neptune replaced promptly under warranty.

2. Customer service doesn’t seem that great. -- I have had nothing but excellent customer service. I submit tickets online and usually get an email reply or phone call within hours.

3. The Apex website doesn’t do much for answering technical questions. -- Go to the Neptune Community Forums. It has a wealth of technical details, and with their huge customer base there are a lot of us who actively participate to help each other solve problems or brainstorm on new ideas.

4. It appears to be a closed system and can’t communicate with other systems. -- There are only a small handful of dedicated aquariums controllers out there. It's a very niche market, and none of the commercial products are fully "open" systems. The Apex can interface with bare wire switches through the Breakout Box, and control variable speed pumps, dimmable lights, and LED spectrum for any device that accepts 0-10v input, and has wireless integration with certain pumps and lights. Most equipment manufacturers are moving towards their own dedicated apps, so in a way those vendors are to blame for not integrating with dedicated controllers.

5. I have found no examples of monitoring and controlling more than one tank. -- You simply add additional probes and modules as needed. The Apex can have up to 49 modules. Just name the sensors and outputs for your other tanks accordingly.

Read through my Apex Programming Tutorial series here on R2R to get an idea of some of the automation I have done and ways the Apex can help you: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials.700483/

OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you can control more than one tank with it easil. As longer as you don’t exceed the number of “connection” ( if I remember correctly is 255 and don’t quote me) you can have as many tanks as you want on it.

Thanks!, for the information! I was aware of the 255, it isn’t clear of the distance I can do on the net work cable for some of the devices.

OP
OP
Tdoan

Tdoan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Worth" is a very subjective term. But in my opinion the Apex is worth it to me in terms of capabilities, ease of use, flexibility, expandability, and peace of mind.

To address your specific questions:

1. There seems to be problems with the power blocks. -- I have never had any problems with my EB832 or EB4. The only power problem I've had is with the power brick for my COR20 pump which Neptune replaced promptly under warranty.

2. Customer service doesn’t seem that great. -- I have had nothing but excellent customer service. I submit tickets online and usually get an email reply or phone call within hours.

3. The Apex website doesn’t do much for answering technical questions. -- Go to the Neptune Community Forums. It has a wealth of technical details, and with their huge customer base there are a lot of us who actively participate to help each other solve problems or brainstorm on new ideas.

4. It appears to be a closed system and can’t communicate with other systems. -- There are only a small handful of dedicated aquariums controllers out there. It's a very niche market, and none of the commercial products are fully "open" systems. The Apex can interface with bare wire switches through the Breakout Box, and control variable speed pumps, dimmable lights, and LED spectrum for any device that accepts 0-10v input, and has wireless integration with certain pumps and lights. Most equipment manufacturers are moving towards their own dedicated apps, so in a way those vendors are to blame for not integrating with dedicated controllers.

5. I have found no examples of monitoring and controlling more than one tank. -- You simply add additional probes and modules as needed. The Apex can have up to 49 modules. Just name the sensors and outputs for your other tanks accordingly.

Read through my Apex Programming Tutorial series here on R2R to get an idea of some of the automation I have done and ways the Apex can help you: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/neptune-apex-programming-tutorials.700483/

thanks for your details reply, I will take a look at the link you gave!

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's important to also remember that the largest brands also have the largest number of people with problems. Doesn't mean it's a bad product. Just a pure numbers game. They get the most love but also the most hate.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I wouldn't reef without it. Being able to check the basic params anywhere at anytime is priceless. Adjust lights, adjust Vortechs, feed at will, etc....it's amazing. Little to no maintenance once setup.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 119 43.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 133 48.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back