Appropriate container for dosing Sodium Hydroxide?

Nerdist Aquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to start dosing Sodium Hydroxide in addition to my 2 part mix in effort to raise pH. What's a good container to keep the solution in? Apparently glass is a no no, and some plastics are too. What about acrylic?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your mixing dry sodium hydroxide with water, I'd only do it in glass. This reaction is very exothermic....it gets hot. Not sure I'd trust plastics. I'd get a glass bottle with a glass stopper.

reagent bottle.jpeg

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just kept mine in a plastic juice jug. You aren't dealing with fluorine based acids. Its lye.

It gets warm when mixed. So....you keep it immersed in cold water when mixing it. No big deal.

Just a warning, but I've tried dosing sodium hydroxide and found it full of other stuff like phosphate. If you are dosing it try to get pharma grade.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyethylene and polypropylene are not impacted by high pH. Just make sure you do not get it too hot from the heat of dissolution. Avoid polycarbonate.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyethylene and polypropylene are not impacted by high pH. Just make sure you do not get it too hot from the heat of dissolution. Avoid polycarbonate.
How would you recommend keeping polyethylene containers cool while mixing the sodium hydroxide and sodium sulfate? I could set my polyethylene containers on ice packs. Would mixing slowly help?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you recommend keeping polyethylene containers cool while mixing the sodium hydroxide and sodium sulfate? I could set my polyethylene containers on ice packs. Would mixing slowly help?

Just make sure they are nearly full of cool water, rather than adding a little water to the solid.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with you, I don’t understand why glass would have an issue.

Glass dissolves at very high pH, releasing silicate into the water.

I know people think it inert, but its not. With a strong sodium hydroxide solution (stronger than recommended for my recipes), you can visibly etch the glass.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is fine at room temperature. I've stored solutions of sodium hydroxide in glass for years (10+ years). The stopper should be plastic since the glass stopper can become frozen over time.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass is fine. I've stored solutions of sodium hydroxide in glass for years. The stopper should be plastic since the glass stopper can become frozen over time.

Did you ever analyze the solutions for silicate?

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass dissolves at very high pH, releasing silicate into the water.

I know people think it inert, but its not. With a strong sodium hydroxide solution (stronger than recommended for my recipes), you can visibly etch the glass.

You’re right, probably due to glass strength and great heat tolerance i did not know this. Thanks for informing.

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I didn't quite understand from above. Would a borosilicate beaker be ok for mixing (not storing) your standard (or 1.5x) solution your sodium hydroxide solution?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I didn't quite understand from above. Would a borosilicate beaker be ok for mixing (not storing) your standard (or 1.5x) solution your sodium hydroxide solution?

Yes. The hydroxide concentration is not high enough to cause rapid etching. I just did not want folks to think of glass as inert. A little silicate, if any releases, will not hurt anything. I regularly dosed it. Other things in glass are too low to worry about or nontoxic (like borate).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back